3mm vs 5mm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thomasj1107

Contributor
Reaction score
So I was pretty set on getting a 3mm full suit as I only plan to buy one suit right now. It will be for diving mostly the keys, FL east coast, and Florida gulf coast. I’ll occasionally hit a spring or two. I recently had a 3mm in 63 degree quarry and got cold towards the end but I usually run pretty hot so it wasn’t bad. Dive shop nearby recommended a 5mm and said I can always open it up and let water in and cool down, but if I have a 3 and get cold, can’t warm up. Anyone else think the 5 is the better option if trying to only get one? Thanks!

I prefer 3mm+hooded vest to a 5mm. If it's cold enough to need a 5mm it's cold enough for a hood, and if you're in a wetsuit with a hood then a hooded vest gets you the extra thickness on your core and reduces water movement around your head/neck as well as most of the water entry from the back zip.

I prefer 3mm+hooded vest to a 5mm. If it's cold enough to need a 5mm it's cold enough for a hood, and if you're in a wetsuit with a hood then a hooded vest gets you the extra thickness on your core and reduces water movement around your head/neck as well as most of the water entry from the back zip.

At what temp is this the way you do it?

cold tolerances are highly personal. I was born and raised in Massachusetts and grew up swimming in the cold waters of Maine and Cape Cod. I am still very much a polar bear at heart and I can comfortably dive in a bathing suit in the 70f springs for well over an hour and in a 3mm up to 2hrs and 3mm+hooded vest up to about 3. As far as going colder it is all a function of how much total exposure you have per dive, how many dives per day and what happens between those dives *very different experience in summer vs winter* and how many repetitive days of diving you have. I have taken 3mm+hooded vest down to 40f for about 45mins without issue but again, I'm a polar bear and it was a very good hooded vest. All that to say it is very difficult to make solid recommendations on exposure protection without knowing the full story.

Exposure suit vs temp is very subjective. I was recently in Hawaii diving at/below 100' in just board shorts and a rash guard. There were others in the same area with full length 3mm and 5mm suits that stayed in 50-60' range... in the Puget Sound I dive a 7mm farmer john but am looking at going with a 7mm jumpsuit. I'll be getting the new suit and will drive it a few times to determine if a vest is also needed.

I was in Key Largo in Feb the water temp was 75 and I was wearing boardshorts and a rash guard. I also was in a 2mm Shorty and it was 80degrees last week.

If you think you'll be cold get a 5, better to have more than less. I personally wouldnt do more than a 3mm but like everyone else said before, all depends on how cold you get.

I can always open it up and let water in and cool down

This is BS, not true at all.

I own two suits, 3mm and 5mm and use each for different temps. I own a 2mm shortie, front zip, that can go over the 3mm just in case the 3mm isn't warm enough. A hood would help too as @tbone1004 mentioned.

I was born and raised in Massachusetts and grew up swimming in the cold waters of Maine and Cape Cod.

You did?????? I lived and dove there for a very long time. I went to engineering school there too. I consider Boston/Worcester my "home town" in the US. Never heard of you :p

Your premise is faulty. You can NOT buy one suit to handle the temperature extremes that the various seasons and the geographic variations will impose.

You did?????? I lived and dove there for a very long time. I went to engineering school there too. I consider Boston/Worcester my "home town" in the US. Never heard of you :p
Indeed, Clinton MA is home. Lived in Maine for a few years after college. Depending on when you left I was probably still a kid :p

Back
Top Bottom