Deep6 3mm wetsuit in cenotes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brett Hatch

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, I'm planning a trip down to QR in late July. Plan to spend the first 5 nights in Cozumel, doing 2 or 3 ocean dives per day while there. Then we'll head to Tulum for 4 more nights, and will do 1-2 days of 2-tank cenotes diving. My group has no cave/cavern experience, so we'll be sticking with a guide and in the caverns appropriate for our training (AOW, nitrox).

In the ocean, I expect the temps to be about 82F. I've used this same suit in temps as low as 78F and was perfectly fine, with no hood or gloves. If it's warm enough, might even try going just with a rash guard, we'll see what happens.

But, the cenotes are a little chillier. So the question is, will my Deep6 3mm be sufficiently warm in the cenotes? It is much warmer than a standard 3mm, since the seals are very good and the neoprene is high quality. Hoping to hear from somebody who has dove this exact suit. I will be packing a 5mm "warm-neck" hood, the same one I use with my drysuit in Monterey, which gets as cold as 47F.

If push comes to shove, I could pack my drysuit as well, but I would really prefer to avoid this. The other options would be packing my 8mm wetsuit, or renting a 5mm from the dive shop. What are your thoughts?

You could be ok in a 3 mil full. Your dives will one hour maximum to perhaps 45 minutes. 5 mil will be plenty for those dives. Everyone runs a different temp. Enjoy the cenotes. Dos Ojos. Angelita. The Pit. Those should be hi on your list.

A 3mm hooded vest would be an easy to pack (and relatively cheap) way to have extra warmth if you need it. I've been comfortable in a (worn) 3mm suit in 3-4 dives a day in 25C (Red Sea North), but I needed the hooded vest.

My son and I did 2 dives in Dos Ojos and were OK in 3 mm full suits and 5/3 mm hooded vests. You don't exert much energy to make heat. The water was 76-77 degrees.

I dive them in a full 3 (Bare Ultrawarm) and usually a neproene beanie... mainly to keep my hair in check but it helps retain some heat on the top of my head. Quite comfortable.

I did the Lemon drop dive in Jupiter FL in my Deep6 3mm w hooded vest at 71F and it was on cold side. I have also done the Playa del Carmen cenotes in a rental without a hood and was ok. A little chilly towards end of second dive. Deep6 is a warm 3mm and with a hood probably be fine. I now own a 5mm and am glad I do. Have fun.

Brett, I am diving the Cenotes in a week at the end of the invasion. I'm bringing my Waterproof W3 3.5mm (and a Lavacore Vest -just in case) with a Lavacore hood and a beanie. I'll report back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom