best accessories for whites fusion tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opie712

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking at buying a whites suit this will be my first dry diving experience so what I'm interested in is under garments and dry gloves I will most like get the SLT system for the ease of changing seals and will go with silicone seals
Not really sure on the exact temps I will be diving as its the local lake in the winter months to ext my dive time I'm guessing the lowest temps will be in low 40s to high 30s at the coldest end I would like to buy undergarments for that temp range so I could dive when its that cold and just take off layers when its warmer I know 4th element and santi gets good reviews but what about the thermal fusion. And also as everything is going to be new what do I use for moisture wicking under armour cold gear or something made for drysuits. As far as dry gloves I don't want the ones you just pull over the cuff seems like it would be hard to put on by urself I was looking at something like the si tech quick glove lock system I wanted to ask here to see what people was actually using instead of the LDS trying to put me off on the highest stuff in the store or stuff I don't need thanks in advance for your guys help

With about 40 dives on a Whites Fusion Tech in Seattle (water 43-54 in winter, low 50's in the summer):
1) I like the SiTech rings with silicone seals. They are really comfortable and I didn't even need to trim them.
2) I did put a relief zipper in the suit, works great for between dives on cold days, but it is an expensive option.
3) The Whites Thermal Fusion works really well in the Fusion suits, After probably 50 dives, I still like mine a lot and it's toasty warm for the local waters.
4) Went with the pull-over gauntlet-type gloves. They really aren't a problem pulling over the rings and if you have a problem, they're really cheap to replace.
5) Under the TF, I wear UA cold printed leggings and top, and under the top, a wicking athletic shirt, and I'm good for a 70 minute dive in mid 40s water. On the feet, I wear wicking silk socks, then thick REI mountaineering socks. I've tried other socks and the thick woolies work great.
6) Depending on where you dive, consider the EVO3 boot instead of the Fusion boot. Around the Puget Sound, they work great for shore diving.

If you go with the ring system for neck and wrist seals, you will be limited to the SiTech dry glove systems. From what I have seen of the Antares, and what I have read, I cannot recommend them. The Quick Glove system is a bit finicky, but once I had it figured out, it works okay. I still prefer my Vikings, but you cannot use them with the SiTech seal rings.

For undergarments in the temperature range you are describing, I'd probably be looking at the Whites MK3, or the 4th Element Halo. If you are weight-sensitive or really need mobility (eg. diving doubles) then the TF. The TF does me okay in water from 50 to 55 for 60 minutes or more, but once the water drops into the 40's, I'm down to 45 minute dives. I use a wicking layer under the TF, made by KamGear here in Seattle.

If the si tech stuff aint much to mention what could i use and is the slt or quick change seals not that big of a deal Also I forgot to mention if this is a good idea or no but instead or dry suit boots due to being big heavy and now very flexible what I tried on at the store although I have no idea if its the same under water what about using something like converse high top shoes

If you buy the user-replaceable seal system, which is made by SiTech, you are pretty much obligated to use a SiTech dry glove system.

I have used Converse High Tops with my Fusion socks. You have to buy them fairly oversized. They seem to hold up pretty well to diving. I stopped using them because I really loathe lacing something up -- wearing enough undergarment to look like the Michelin man makes bending over and getting to my feet a PITA.

To be clear, the SiTech system lets you use any latex or silicone seal, and the standard Atlas gloves. In fact, it comes without gloves so you have to pick something. It comes with various retention rings to deal with gloves made of different thickness material.

Just wish I could track down the blue glove portion of the 660 "freezer glove" combo that comes with the liner. These seem to be different from the 495 blue glove in that the fingers are chunkier to make room for the liner, without adding length like the larger 495 sizes need to. At least that's what it seems to me.

I use the Fusion attached boots. It means I've never left them behind :) Downside is that they trap water when the suit is hung upright to dry. I just got one of the hangers that uses the boots to hold the suit upside down though, so hopefully that's not an issue. Not that it's been an issue - I just come by the next day and drain the remaining water out of the boots (trapped between the boot and the inner sock).

I was thinking about taking the shoe laces and replacing them with a bungee cord and a clip something like on a draw bag that way your not messing with laces also is the si tech glove lock system what you are using TSandM that I've read you had trouble with the o ring as I watched the DRIS video they look like they twist on rather than push on

SiTech has two different systems with similar names. Quick Gloves push together, and have a big "nut" that is used to pry them apart. The GloveLock system is a "twist to lock" system. Even one of the DRIS videos gets them backwards :)

I was thinking about taking the shoe laces and replacing them with a bungee cord and a clip something like on a draw bag that way your not messing with laces also is the si tech glove lock system what you are using TSandM that I've read you had trouble with the o ring as I watched the DRIS video they look like they twist on rather than push on

Whites does have a replacement for the EVO3 laces and is composed of a bungee-type cord and the lock. I find that once you get the boot comfortable, it will slip on and off without having to re-adjust.

Back
Top Bottom