Bell Found

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dude

Contributor
Reaction score
A couple years ago I was diving around my old hunting grounds when I swam over a bell. There was nothing else near this bell. I marked it with a marker buoy that I always dive with and lifted it the next day.
The area I found it in is well marked reef so I initially thought it was a bell buoy bell. I contacted the Coast Guard historians on the CG website. Their collective position was that if the bell didn’t have markings on it the bell was not U.S. property.
When I got their response I realized I would probably never find out where the bell came from. My hope is that I can at least date it and that is why I am submitting this thread.
The bell is 18 inches high, 18 inches in diameter and weighs 112 pounds. It is bronze.
There are absolutely no markings on it. There was a lot of marine growth on it. Also a lot of northern coral on the inside of it (yes, we have coral off R.I. but it is very small, 2 inches long is a big piece).
Under the bung, inside the bell were the clapper was mounted was a washer. I wanted to find out what the washer material was so I burned a small piece of it and it smelled like burnt hair. I determined the washer was leather.
Also, the clapper was on the inside of the bell. All buoy bell clappers are on the outside.
The clapper made a track all around the inside of the bell from pounding with two pronounced areas 180 degrees apart.
Please see the attached photos.
Anyone have any ideas about the age of this thing or where I might go to find out more about this bell?

I'd do a search for Marine Muesums and send them a picture. I'd bet that they have seen similar bells before. Good luck.

Hmm, that's interesting. You didn't see anything else not normally found in that area (eg. smooth river rocks, while diving in the ocean, or ship nails that look like small rail road tie nails)? The river rocks were normally used as ballast for wooden ships, and the vessel using the river rocks was made from wood, then the nails shold be in the area as well. You could also contact a university with an underwater archaeology program (Such as Texas A&M). Keep us informed of any information you find out about the bell.

I did some online research and it may be a bell from a lighthouse. You can contact the National Lighthouse Museum at Info@LighthouseMuseum.org.

I'd also do some research for what known shipwrecks are in the area. A slight thought I just had could be the bell was tossed overboard to try to slow the sinking of a ship so you may have to have a somewhat broader search area. Good luck dude. Also, check for a PM from me.

Normally I don't post two replies in a row but I have done a little bit of research and have come up with a theory. The bell looks like it is a railroad bell (typically they were made from brass or bronze). Check out this link for railroad bells: http://www.brosamersbells.com/rr.html

About 1 to 2 miles south of Block Island, the steamship Achilles (belonging to the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Company) became stuck on a shoal on January 6th, 1887 and broke apart from the waves. This vessel may have been carrying railroad bells (which typically did not bear any inscriptions). Here is a link to information about the Achilles: http://www.wreckhunter.net/DataPages/achilles-dat.htm

Another source of information could be the Mariner's Museum in Newport News, VA. They may know where to look for information if they don't know anything about the bell.

www.mariner.org

Diver Dude,
That's one cool find.
Congrats.
I know absulutely zip about artifacts, but I am kinda hip on old Harleys,cars,a few old guns(not all) and mechanical stuff.
I take great pride in giving a second life to discarded antique mechanical items.
After you get done with all your research,have recieved the oppinion of several experts and IF determined that that bell won't be harmed by usage ring that bell and ring it often.
Heck use it to call you kids.
That bell was made to be rung.
As earlier mentioned I don't know dick about artifacts so my advice may be way off.
Andy

I agree, I eventually want to replace the clapper and mount it on a beam. I have hit the bell lightly with a hammer, this thing has the potential to be rung LOUD.
I plan on taking a trip to the Mariner's Museum as dennisw suggested.
I have more info I have found through my research that I will post Monday or Tuesday.
Right now I'm packing up for a weekend of diving.
Bryan

Diver Dude:
A couple years ago I was diving around my old hunting grounds when I swam over a bell. There was nothing else near this bell. I marked it with a marker buoy that I always dive with and lifted it the next day.
The area I found it in is well marked reef so I initially thought it was a bell buoy bell. I contacted the Coast Guard historians on the CG website. Their collective position was that if the bell didn’t have markings on it the bell was not U.S. property.
When I got their response I realized I would probably never find out where the bell came from. My hope is that I can at least date it and that is why I am submitting this thread.
The bell is 18 inches high, 18 inches in diameter and weighs 112 pounds. It is bronze.
There are absolutely no markings on it. There was a lot of marine growth on it. Also a lot of northern coral on the inside of it (yes, we have coral off R.I. but it is very small, 2 inches long is a big piece).
Under the bung, inside the bell were the clapper was mounted was a washer. I wanted to find out what the washer material was so I burned a small piece of it and it smelled like burnt hair. I determined the washer was leather.
Also, the clapper was on the inside of the bell. All buoy bell clappers are on the outside.
The clapper made a track all around the inside of the bell from pounding with two pronounced areas 180 degrees apart.
Please see the attached photos.
Anyone have any ideas about the age of this thing or where I might go to find out more about this bell?

I can't help you much but it's clear to see that the bell has been turned and not cast. I don't know if you can do anything with that but it might help you date it.

If I had to venture a guess I'd say it was a church bell and given the way it was fabricated, probably not more than 100 years old.

R..

Back
Top Bottom