Bell Found

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001:
I can't help you much but it's clear to see that the bell has been turned and not cast. I don't know if you can do anything with that but it might help you date it.

If I had to venture a guess I'd say it was a church bell and given the way it was fabricated, probably not more than 100 years old.

R..
I know my pictures weren't that good but the bell is cast with the bung (cylindrical part on top) being turned on a lathe. Viewing it live I can see the machine marks. The casting is on the rough side. The concentric circles you see in the pictures have been cast in.
Church bells, school bell and town bells were typically steel. This bell is without a doubt, bronze.
I think you are right about estimating the age.
Thanks, Diver0001!

wow thats one hell of a find! congrats bro even if you dont get the identity its still a great find in my book. wish i had your luck

Ships bells had been made to give signal up when the sand watsh had to been turned 30 minuets,the sailors cald it 1 glass.that looks like a good bell when from a sailvessel normal the plunger and the chain that stopet ther sound in the wind must be in the ream.shipsbells are out of service today wail when there is no need in it.That is maybe a wakeup or alert bell.must been had made between 1700-1850.

7*

Diver Dude, we're anxiously awaiting the update on the bell. Thanks! BTW, I hope you had a good weekend diving!

Firebrand:
Diver Dude, we're anxiously awaiting the update on the bell. Thanks! BTW, I hope you had a good weekend diving!

Firebrand,
I'm going to try to post tonight.
Had a great weekend of diving. We found a yacht that sank in the 50's. Highest structure is only about 3 feet but we managed to pull some broze off of it. But that is another story....

OK, now you're just getting on my nerves. A bell that cool, and you found a yacht? Too much good stuff!

PhotoTJ:
OK, now you're just getting on my nerves. A bell that cool, and you found a yacht? Too much good stuff!

You sound like you don't believe me.
The bell was found in 1999. The yacht sank in 1953. it was salvaged as much as possible then left to Mother Nature. This boat is in shallow water and has been pummeled by wave action for 5 decades. There is not much left to it.
I spend a LOT of time in the area where we found this yacht. I have found many artifacts there. And there is a lot more down there.

And when do we get to come visit for the opportunities to find those artifacts?

Firebrand:
And when do we get to come visit for the opportunities to find those artifacts?

I'll show you pictures but I'm not telling anyone where I get this stuff....would you.
Here are some things we got this past weekend. Three of them are bronze.

Back
Top Bottom