Bell Found

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firebrand , I’ve been PMing your brother, I’m surprised he didn’t forward the info I have sent him.
I have been researching this bell for quite a while. I have a theory on were it came from but I will never be able to prove it unless I get real lucky.
Between Watch Hill R.I. and Fisher's Island N.Y. is a series of reefs. This area is 3.5 mi. long. The current rips through there. Over the centuries these reefs have sunk a lot of ships.
One of these ships was the Onandaga. It was a coastal steamer 240 feet long. It hit Watch Hill Reef and sank in 1918. It is a popular wreck to dive.
The ship is actually next to the reef in 35 to 50 feet of water. When it sank the only thing showing were the tops of the smoke stacks and the masts. The reef is anywhere from 3 to 35 feet deep.
When the 'Daga sank it was clear the ship was doomed so the salvagers moved in. The plan was to blow up the ship and salvage the boilers, steam engine and whatever cargo survived the blast.
I used to dive the reef the Daga hit. I have found bronze and steel artifacts from a ship there. These artifacts were all mangled....like they were in an explosion.
So, the salvagers blew the livin hell out of the Daga and **** must have gone flying every where.
I'm thinking the bell went flying too. I found it about 300 feet away from the wreck. There is some damage on the bell. There are some gouges on it, a small dent on the rim and the clapper is gone. The bell walls are about 1.25 thick so any dent took a lot of force.
So now I'm just trying to date the bell somehow. A picture of the Daga's bell when it was on the Daga would help too.
That's about it.
Bryan

Diver Dude:
You sound like you don't believe me.
The bell was found in 1999. The yacht sank in 1953. it was salvaged as much as possible then left to Mother Nature. This boat is in shallow water and has been pummeled by wave action for 5 decades. There is not much left to it.
I spend a LOT of time in the area where we found this yacht. I have found many artifacts there. And there is a lot more down there.
I believe you. It's great that you are bringing up the good stuff!

Just envious, that's all. *sigh* I find golf balls and fishing lures. Don't get me wrong, they are nice lures, but... :D

PhotoTJ:
I believe you. It's great that you are bringing up the good stuff!

Just envious, that's all. *sigh* I find golf balls and fishing lures. Don't get me wrong, they are nice lures, but... :D

Hey Photo,
I'm just lucky to live in an area that has a rich history of wrecks. That plus all the hours I've put in underwater. Perseverance really does pay off

I've been searching pretty hard for a photo of the "Daga's bell but alas, my searches have yeilded nada as of yet. I am pretty persistent so I will keep searching.

Blane,
I've learned that the internet does not have everything you want in it. Good pics of the Daga are one of them.
Did you view the stats at http://wreckhunter.net/DataPages/onondaga-dat.htm ?
The picture shown on that site was used courtesy of the Mariner's Museum of Newport News, Va.
My brother lives in that town. I plan on visiting him and the museum this winter.
The weather is going to be lousy in R.I. this weekend so it is going to be a research weekend.
My buddy and I are mainly going to be looking for info on that wreck I mentioned earlier.
But I will do some digging for the Daga also.
We have two very good resources for marine research in Southern New England. There is the Coast Guard Museum Library in New London, Ct. and the Mystic Seaport Library in Mystic, Ct. Between the two we will find something.
I'll keep you informed.
Bryan

Bryan, thanks for posting that site. I'd seen it before but I didn't see the bell in any detail. When I have a little more free time, I'm going to look into the history of the 'Daga to see if any older photos exist of her dive bell. Hopefully that search will yeild something interesting. Good luck in your research this coming weekend.

Go to your biggest, nearest museum, If anyone can they can date and identify it as a ships or whatever bell for you, if he can't they usually have network of buds that will help you out. I took an ax I dug out of the bottom of lake ontario that was complete. I wanted to find out how to preserve the wood handle and the museum guy id it as British army(by the markings) about 150 yrs old(by the way it was made).Good luck and great find.
Mike

scubatwinned:
Go to your biggest, nearest museum, If anyone can they can date and identify it as a ships or whatever bell for you, if he can't they usually have network of buds that will help you out. I took an ax I dug out of the bottom of lake ontario that was complete. I wanted to find out how to preserve the wood handle and the museum guy id it as British army(by the markings) about 150 yrs old(by the way it was made).Good luck and great find.
Mike

Mike,
That is a great idea! I don’t know why I didn’t think of that.
Here in Ct. we have one of the premier maritime museums in the U.S. It is the Mystic Seaport. I was going to go there this weekend anyway.
I’m just not looking forward to loading that thing into my truck….
Thanks for the idea!!
Bryan

Back
Top Bottom