Belize Water Temps?? (Dec 2010)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I was there on Jan 3. Water was a bit cooler than usual but still pleasant - Probably in very high 70's. I wore a 3mm full length with skins and hood and was very comfortable. Many were wearing just a 3 mm shorty and seem to do ok. December is usually Belize's coldest month and the water gradually warms in January. I would suggest a full length 3 mm if you have one.

For the record it was 78-79 degrees out by Long Caye and Half Moon Caye... I wore a 5mm and hooded vest, and was mostly comfortable. Never too warm, and occasionally chilled as my dives approached the 1 hour mark.

A 3mm would have been way too little, and those who were wearing only 3mm's on the trip - complained of being cold.

Thanks for the update. Definitely the 5mm and beanie, and I'll probably take the vest just in case. I'm such a wimp, but there's no point being cold unnecessarily.

Depends when you're coming. It's already warming up, and by summer the water's 85+. Many people choose to dive in shorts and tee shirt.

Depends when you're coming. It's already warming up, and by summer the water's 85+. Many people choose to dive in shorts and tee shirt.

???? Peter, wake up...you must be dreaming. :D It was freezing down here yesterday. Coldest I've been this cold season. 3 mm hooded vest, 3.5 mm full suit and I was ....ok. My son and my other buddy couldn't stay in the water for more than an hour with 2 mm full, and 2mm hooded vests.

Hank, I'm talking about the summer. Hopefully it'll have warmed up a bit by then! Although I was diving between Christmas and New Year (and freezing my butt off) with Patojo, who was just wearing shorts and rash guard.

Our first time to Belize will be in a month, planning to stay and dive from San Pedro. I don't get cold easily and thought of using my 3mm shorty. I'm currently looking for accommodations and who to dive with - any advice would be greatly appreciated. Prefer no frills.

DeLaCruz, there are lots of places to stay in San Pedro. If you specify what you're looking for, you'll get more precise answers.
You can stay right in town with the bars and restaurants, or out of town where it's more quiet. There's about 15 miles of beached area to choose from.
Then pick a dive op that's kind of close by so you can hang out with the people you dive with. ??. Most will pick you up at your hotel too.

Hank, as far as places to stay we're quiet types, non drinkers so night life is not our thing. We prefer simple non-resort places to stay as long as they're clean, and a mini ref. or kitchenette would be a plus. Don't mind being in town. My wife has a weak ankle from a very old accident so way out of town that requires a lot of walking would be a little of a hardship. I would prefer to spend more on dives than on a place to stay....

As for diving it looks like Blue Hole/Lighthouse Atoll and Turneffe Atoll are both a must, a couple of 2 tank local days and maybe a day at Baclar Chico Reserve. We can dive 2 more days - what would you change or reccommend?

Back
Top Bottom