Belize-San Pedro Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi! scubahiro - I can't tell who you are so I don't know if I've replied to you. Please write directly to Protech.
And thanks to Dandy Don for his kind words. We try to run the sort of operation we would want to dive with if we turned up in San Pedro, and as we're experienced technical divers we have quite high standards!

And you'll love San Pedro. Gotta' love a town that has its beer and bottled water delivered on trailers pulled by mini John Deere tractors. :dazzler1:

I am on my way to San Pedro next week and will be diving with Pro Tech Belize, as usual. This will be an extended trip on which I hope to contract the "Belize Disease". The symptoms are generally known to be a withdrawal from reality and a desire to do nothing but dive or drink beer. It is similar to the Keys Disease.

scubahiro:
On a separate note: Do people take anti-malaria drugs when diving in San Pedro?

Some don't. The CDC suggests that it's a good idea, though, so I did. Flying in over the marshes that surround San Pedro, I'd say it's a very good idea. :eyebrow:

There are no cases of anyone ever contracting malaria on Ambergris caye thats not to say people have not got the symtoms while on Ambergris but it never came from Ambergris in all cases the person had been on the mainland where the mosquito that carrys malaria is found.
i am told it is because the mosquito that carrys malaria is a freshwater mosquito and while we have lots of mangroves they are all salt water hense we only have the type of mosquite that breeds in thsat type of enviroment either way they all bite. :)

You should however still follow the advice of your doctor and since you will land in the mainland and depart form there its probably a good idea to take medication but in the 15 years i have been here never even known anyone that has had it

Dive Safe

Gaz

Anopheles Mosquito, Of the insects that serve as vectors for parasitic diseases, this genus (Anopheles) is arguably the most important. Of the approximately 400 species of Anopheles, about sixty serve as vectors for malaria (Plasmodium spp.) in humans.

The female mosquito lays 30 - 150 eggs every 2 - 3 days.

Anopheles and many other mosquitoes lay their eggs singly on the water surface which is not limited to fresh water.

Anopheles shows the most regular cycles of blood feeding and egg laying. Human blood is needed to nourish these eggs and hence the mosquito bites humans. In the process, the parasites are injected into human blood stream, as though in exchange.

To say that there are no standing fresh water spots in the island is a broad statement
and can be taking as untrue. It rains water stands, people water plants and it is retained in the water basin. It take 4-6 days to breed a biting pest. While many of the pests do come from the mangroves there are many other speices that do not.

In short protect youself and dont always listen to myths about those that infect. Research it for youself and make an informed choice.

http://mosquito.colostate.edu/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php

Scuba_John:
Anopheles and many other mosquitoes lay their eggs singly on the water surface which is not limited to fresh water.

Anopheles shows the most regular cycles of blood feeding and egg laying. Human blood is needed to nourish these eggs and hence the mosquito bites humans. In the process, the parasites are injected into human blood stream, as though in exchange.

To say that there are no standing fresh water spots in the island is a broad statement and can be taking as untrue. It rains water stands, people water plants and it is retained in the water basin. It take 4-6 days to breed a biting pest.

Thanks for the facts, John! I can see why tour operators would want to downplay the risks, but the truth is - it's possible to meet a skeeter that could carry malaria there. Since the preventative med is not nearly as bad as the disease, I took it. My last dose was this past weekend...

Most welcome, best to know before you go and pack out only what you packed in :)

I am not downplaying the fact what i am saying is that in 15 years i have NEVER heard of anyone or known ANYONE getting malaria on Ambergris Caye since I am not an expert on mosquitos like Scuba john is may be he would explain why that is the case.

I am curious

Gaz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom