Belize Aggressor IV mooring breaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been on 27 Aggressor trip in a number of their locations. With the exception of the Red Sea, the captains have been in the dive master rotation. With up to 5 dives a day, the crew is trying reduce their risks while giving the guests the best trip both above and below the water.

The concerning part to me in the report was the captain was in the water acting as a divemaster.

Yup, that is interesting, although I've seen it on liveaboards before.

It's not so much due to a shortage of personnel, I think, as several of the other crew could have easily rotated in and out of the water. Maybe it's just a preference.

At the time, John (engineer) was on the boat. He's been with the BA for a couple of decades now. Captain said that John could drive the boat better than him, but that John didn't want the responsibility of being a captain.

What John and crew did topside while we were swimming is unknown to me.

Money versus safety? The aggressor boats pay less with a smaller crew when using the captain as dive master

Money versus safety? The aggressor boats pay less with a smaller crew when using the captain as dive master
The last time I was on that boat (something like a year ago), there were two Captains. So I doubt that is what is going on.

Yup, that is interesting, although I've seen it on liveaboards before.

It's not so much due to a shortage of personnel, I think, as several of the other crew could have easily rotated in and out of the water. Maybe it's just a preference.

At the time, John (engineer) was on the boat. He's been with the BA for a couple of decades now. Captain said that John could drive the boat better than him, but that John didn't want the responsibility of being a captain.

What John and crew did topside while we were swimming is unknown to me.
All this conjecture, who was the 2nd captain on the BA IV? It seems like the time from the broken mooring (line between the reef and the mooring ball) was very short prior to the boat grounding. Could anyone have done something to prevent the grounding?

All this conjecture, who was the 2nd captain on the BA IV?
I apologize, @scubadada I've tried very hard not to convey any conjecture, speaking only to what I witnessed, or what I know. If I didn't see it, or don't know something, I've been very clear about that.
Could anyone have done something to prevent the grounding?
Again, since I wasn't on-board at the time, I can't say.

Divers were in the water and we were all close to the boat at the end of the dive. Would you have started the engines? Do you sacrifice the boat, or the divers?

I won't speculate; I try my best not to do so.

Conjecture would be to second-guess what someone might have done in the face of frisky conditions, with a fast-approaching reef, and divers in the water next to the props.

As a captain, I dove a lot. My lead deckhand was a captain, my mate was a captain, on some trips I had as many as 5 captains on the crew.

S**t happens, and if it’s going to happen, it’s going to happen on a boat. It’s likely that unless the boat is fired up, you’re going to run aground.

If you do get fired up, you’re going to strike a diver and run aground, or you’re going to foul in the mooring line and then run aground.

Thats why we used to hit the rig sometimes when doing rig dives. And that’s why we had tires.

Per the attached article, the Belize Aggressor IV remains stuck on the reef at the Aquarium Dive Site at Long Caye. Apparently the media are still being fed “the Belize Coast Guard rescued its 20 passengers/divers and staff/crew” narrative. This is absolute bullish!t. Dominik, co-owner and dive instructor at Frenchies Diving, transported us from the disabled Aggressor to the island, as @rlh739 correctly stated. Dominik did an amazing job in sporty seas and stressful circumstances. Thanks Dominik.

View attachment 812460

You should write to the San Pedro Sun.

Back
Top Bottom