Belize Aggressor IV mooring breaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should write to the San Pedro Sun.
Hey, stop telling me what to do! I have enough of that already. :) A correction has been submitted to The San Pedro Sun. Good idea @chillyinCanada, hopefully they run with it.

I would like to submit a correction to the article regarding the Belize Aggressor IV at Long Caye. My wife and I had been diving from the boat all week. I’m sure the 17 other divers would gladly authenticate the following statement (no offense to the Belize Coast Guard).

Dominik, co-owner and dive instructor at Frenchies Diving, safely transported all of the divers from the disabled Belize Aggressor IV to the secondary dock on the west side of the island. He did an amazing job in sporty seas and stressful circumstances. Dominik did this with a sense of humor, ease and precision. He deserves all the credit. Thank you Dominik.

From reading the account, the boat was right next to the shallow reef and there probably was no time to get the lines out of the water and get it in gear without endangering the divers. The dive ladder was broken off so there wasn't enough time to even pull that up. Mooring lines don't typically break on nice days though, so there is that aspect.

We should also mention again Elvis with Itza Resort for jumping right into the middle of it all and helping the castaways that washed up on his island. As well as all the other fishing boats that transported our gear to the island from the BA IV then us and our gear to the BA III. I watched as cans of gasoline was repeatedly carried from the resort to the boats so that they could continue in their efforts to assist the IV and loading the III. I truly hope Aggressor acknowledges their debt to the resort and boats.

We should also mention again Elvis with Itza Resort for jumping right into the middle of it all and helping the castaways that washed up on his island. As well as all the other fishing boats that transported our gear to the island from the BA IV then us and our gear to the BA III. I watched as cans of gasoline was repeatedly carried from the resort to the boats so that they could continue in their efforts to assist the IV and loading the III. I truly hope Aggressor acknowledges their debt to the resort and boats.

I know someone who might be very happy to share the story and give credit where credit is due. Let me know if you find no satisfaction from the San Pedro Sun.

IMG_2045.jpeg

The Department of Environment seem to be very interested in collecting money, but no mention is made of who has to pay.

If the mooring is maintained by the Belize Port Authority, and the mooring was faulty, wouldn't they be responsible? Is Aggressor on the hook (as it were)?

Unfortunately, many details are unknown to us. But my "Sheesh" above is because there are so many other factors to consider, but money seems to be their first priority.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-29 at 7.22.38 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-29 at 7.22.38 AM.png
    124.9 KB · Views: 55
Update:

Latest report from The San Pedro Sun: After receiving assistance from the Belize Coast Guard, a Caye Caulker tour operator transported the passengers and crew to a safe area.

The correction could not have been more ambiguous, vague and nonspecific. Here’s a pic of Dominik from the aforementioned “Caye Caulker tour operator” otherwise known as Frenchie’s Diving.

E2224B28-D9F0-4E29-80FF-B3947D778355.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom