Beginners in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joaz Banbeck

Registered
Reaction score
We just completed our 4 open water dives, got our cards, and have 3 more days in the Mayan Riviera. I'd like to dive Cozumel, but my wife is a bit nervous about it. She has read about the 127 mi/hr currents that sweep divers to Mozambique. I figure that I've traveled 2000+ miles to be here; it would be silly to be 98% of the way to Cozumel and not dive there.
I'd like advice on how two beginners can enjoy Cozumel safely. Recommedations for particular companies would be useful, as would recommendations for/against particular dive spots.

Thanks.

PS: Also, what is the best way to get there? We are in Akumal, and have a rental car. Is there a ferry from Playa Del Carmen? Do we need a car on the island?

Tell her not to be nervous!! I think our first dive there was #16 - we had done all our training in a mucky old lake and hadn't a clue about current. In general it's usually pretty mild. A few reefs may have a stronger current, but nothing to worry about. It actually makes the dives even easier .... just steer and go with the flow!!

Personally we've been using Scuba with Alison for years & years now, but there are lots of great ops, and everyone has their favorites. I'm sure you'll get lots of recommendations.

As for travel - I hear the car ferry can be pretty pricey. Are you planning on staying on Coz for a few days? Or just popping over for a dive day? If it's just the day, it might be cheaper to take the people ferry from Playa then just cab to where ever you need to get to. Hopefully someone will come along with more specifics for you to help with the travel questions.

two of my kids and one daughter in law did their open water certifications in Cozumel in very mild currents. That's even more beginner than you and your wife are! I chose BlueXTSea to certify my 12 year old kids and daughter in law, I'm very happy with them. We just got back last night from my daughter's very first dive trip. On the 3rd day she was doing swim throughs at 60' and pointing out lionfish to the DM. You shouldn't have to know what dive sites you should be diving, a reputable company will understand your lack of experience and take you to the appropriate reef. The currents can and will change from day to day and a good shop will know where to go to give you the experience you're looking for on THAT day.

You're absolutely right, you've come 98% of the way, you can't miss one of the top 5 dive sites in the world.

You don't need a car on the island, hop on an early ferry and dive for the day. Don't buy a round trip ferry ticket from one company though, there are two companies that run ferries, and you might want to catch the other company on the return, as they trade off every hour on the hour (usually). Buying them one way doesn't cost any more.

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it....

I did a week in Cozumel very shortly after getting certified (dives 9-13). My wife (ex) and I used Alison and had a blast. A good dive op will put you on sites that you'll have a safe and enjoyable dive regardless of your experience level.

Cozumel reefs are amazing, but if your wife is nervous, she may not fully enjoy them. Some dive sites do have strong currents or are best enjoyed at depths below 60 feet, which is beyond your training at this point. Also note that boats run over many sites, so it's essential that you don't surface on your own without a safety sausage.
If you decide to go, I'd strongly advise you hire a private instructor/divemaster.
Don't pressure your wife into having to do it just because you're there. You can always come back when you have more experience and she feels more comfy underwater. Cozumel is well worth a one-week (or more) trip on its own anyways : beautiful island, wonderful people, great food, amazing diving…
Whatever you decide, have fun and dive safely

I'm guessing you want to park your car at the PDC ferry dock, day trip to Coz and keep your room in Akamal? Wouldn't be too difficult to make the 8am ferry. I think Blue Angel has a large boat that doesn't leave until 10am and takes divers and snorkelers to some of the easier dive sites. You can even hire a private DM for you two rather inexpensively, and I think it's money well spent for a new diver there.

We just completed our 4 open water dives, got our cards, and have 3 more days in the Mayan Riviera. I'd like to dive Cozumel, but my wife is a bit nervous about it. She has read about the 127 mi/hr currents that sweep divers to Mozambique. I figure that I've traveled 2000+ miles to be here; it would be silly to be 98% of the way to Cozumel and not dive there.
I'd like advice on how two beginners can enjoy Cozumel safely. Recommedations for particular companies would be useful, as would recommendations for/against particular dive spots.

Thanks.
PS: Also, what is the best way to get there? We are in Akumal, and have a rental car. Is there a ferry from Playa Del Carmen? Do we need a car on the island?

You are so close. Go to the Island. There are dive sites with little or no current. Good operations will not take newish divers to sites with alot of current. Paradise reef, Palancar Gardens would be good for a starter dive. Relax and go with the flow. Drift diving can be so very relaxing with the right site and conditions. My dive buddy did all of his open water certification dives on the island. After getting his cert we had a great rest of the week diving. Don't be nervous, relax, listen to the dive masters and above all have a good time.

Take the ferry from Playa. Have the rickshaw/three wheel tricycle guys hump you bags from taxi or bus to the ferry pier (tip them $1-$2 a bag). Its an easy ride, 40 minutes or so to Cozumel. Drinks and snacks available for purchase on the ferry. There are two ferry companies. Get a one way ticket so you are not locked into one company's schedule. I think it's either $8 or $12 for the ferry. Sorry, don't remember which. If you miss a ferry, don't worry just get on the next one. Plenty of places to eat and drink close to the pier.

Taxi's are everywhere on the Island. Ask for a price before you get in. No need for a car for just a day or two on the Island.

We use:
Aldora Divers of Cozumel
Good dive masters, many dive boats (so you are with divers with similar skills) and Safety orientated. Been using them for 12 years. No need for us to try anyone else. Click on all of the info on the left side of the web page. Wealth of info there.
This was written for you:
Diving Cozumel from the Mayan riviera
If you wanted to spend the night you can stay at their Villa. The dive boat will pick you up and drop you off from the pier literally steps from where you stay:
Villa Aldora
Located a leisurely 20 minute walk or quick cab ride North of the town square. We were there for 12 day's in March. You will not find a better place on the water. Click on the drop down tabs at the top for more info.
One more thing...
Welcome to the addiction!!!

Thanks.

check out Scuba Club Cozumel Dive Resort and Scuba Cozumel Dive Shop
We just finished our second trip there and can't wait to go back! Although we are experienced divers, we had two brand new certified divers on our boat the first two days. We all took them under our wings, showed them the ropes, etc. They were nervous about diving Cozumel but we all put them at ease and they had a blast. The dive op didn't take us on any dives that they couldn't handle. I am working on my next trip report, but you can see some of my videos already. I will be posting photos and videos all week and probably next week also. :D
Scuba Club Cozumel is not a fancy resort, no tv or phones. It is a "diver's resort" with everything geared around divers, the boat schedule, and they do everything they can to please you. Food is included and is great to gourmet. My husband even gained 4 lbs last week! Best service we have had in Cozumel (we have been 7 times, stayed at 6 different hotels, dived with 4 different dive ops).

robin:D

Drop Christi a line, she's on Scubaboard. She run s a dive operation on Cozumel, is from Texas, but been on Coz for years.

Back
Top Bottom