Beginners in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aldora has info for coming across to dive as well on their website. Just let them know in advance about your level of experience and they will take care of you..

My brother and my very first open water dives were in Cozumel and we couldn't have had a better time! If she is comfortable under water then there shouldnt be a problem. The only problem i had was slowing myself down because i was so excited to see everything (you dont really see eagle rays or hawks billed turtles next to you at eye level on a daily basis, And the queen angel fish are amazing). Like a kid at toys r us. Dont miss it.

Also, if it's just about diving and not the adventure of visiting the island, I think some of the Akumal dive shops do offer Cozumel dives. Looks like Akumal Dive Center may do it twice a week. Maybe the others do as well. But going to Cozumel and seeing a bit of the topside would probably be more fun. Most of the operations send boats out around 8 am--getting on one of those would mean a very early ferry! Dandy Don covered the Blue Angel 10 am boat--as I recall, it's a slightly larger boat and may have more people on it than the fast little boats most people take out in the mornings, but BA is a nice operation, and I'm looking forward to diving with them again in a couple months (you'd probably need to call or email them for prices/schedule--website seems to be in transition). Their office is at the Blue Angel Resort, not right downtown but close. It looks like Dive With Martin (shop farther south) does a boat around noon, and I'm thinking a lot of others do too. I haven't been out with DWM for a few years, but we always liked them.

There are also the "big tank" operators like Aldora and Living Underwater (we've been diving only with the latter) who can outfit you with big steel tanks--their dives tend to cost more, but it might be worth considering especially if you're using a lot of air, because you'll generally get longer dives.

Either way--if you have a choice, try to go out with a smallish group and an operator that will give you a decently long surface interval so the second dive isn't too short. After that, it's usually all good. There are scads of dive operators out there, and sometimes it's more a matter of fit rather than who is "best." You'll probably like whoever you end up going out with, but it's always good to get your questions answered first. And I'm sure you'll want to let them know that you're new to diving--they'll hopefully keep a close eye on you and pick a site appropriate for your experience.

We did our very first non-lake dives on Cozumel nearly 20 years ago--it was easy and awesome. Still is. Enjoy.

100's maybe 1000's of people get certified in Cozumel every year. there are dive sites for all levels of divers. just let whatever dive op you choose know your experience and any questions or "fears" you may have.

drift diving is not a 100 mph ride, although at times it can be quite swift, the general m.o. for a drift dive in Coz is gently floating at a VERY leasurly pace, not being swept along with everything flying by...no worries, get on the ferry and go!!

My wife was nervous 1st time in Coz. We went with Alison Scuba Dive Cozumel | ScubaWithAlison :cheerleader: She told me 'nervous nellies' were her speciality. She was great and we are going back to see her next week. For me, after drift diving I don't know why anyone would want to go diving without current. I mean you would have to do the swimming yourself, instead of flying along in the current..... :D

My wife was nervous 1st time in Coz. We went with Alison Scuba Dive Cozumel | ScubaWithAlison :cheerleader: She told me 'nervous nellies' were her speciality. She was great and we are going back to see her next week. For me, after drift diving I don't know why anyone would want to go diving without current. I mean you would have to do the swimming yourself, instead of flying along in the current..... :D

29 Days to go!! Tell Alison Hi for me when you're there next week, and tell her to get ready for me!! :D

As for Coz diving ... I always tell people it's LAZY diving .... fall off the boat, follow the DM, drift around, relax, check out the scenery, eventually surface to find the boat waiting for you. Hardest part is getting back on the boat! :thumbs-up

Lots more to see in Cozumel, have fun! While you are in Akamul, and if you both are feeling pretty good about your buoyancy, then check out a Cenote while in the area, you will need to go with a cave diver/ divemaster, no current, however the water will be colder in the lower 70's. Congrats on getting certified.

Thanks, everyone. I showed this thread to my wife. Your comments were enough to persuade her to go. She loved it.

Do tell! Who'd you go with? Where'd you go? What'd ya see?

Or would you like help with logistics...?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom