Been out of the photo scene for a while - appears that prices have gotten worse...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't fathom how anyone that isn't a professional can actually afford a decent underwater DSLR setup nowadays. The prices of the cameras themselves aren't too bad, but the prices of the strobes and housings are astronomical. How can manufactures justify charging 3 - 4 times the cost of the camera, just for the housing??? Seriously??? And to top it off, if your camera breaks, your $3000 housing may just end up being a paperweight once the camera model becomes discontinued / obsolete. The average joe just can't win anymore...
:soapbox:

Actually it's more difficult to understand how pro photographers CAN afford the latest and greatest the way rates have dropped. Nowadays pros are competing with amateurs who have lots of disposable income and are willing to work for a credit.

And please

Great to see others chime in and everyone sees a different side of this activity :)

I agree where Phil is (in FLA) high end items have grown but are also a tiny part of the overall UW photo market. I'll bet 90% of people with a camera take a P&S (that would be a point and SQUIRT LOL) model and MAYBE a separate strobe.

Ikelite SLR housing bodies have never been more than $1,600 retail and that INCLUDES circuitry. Many have been at $1,400 and for years have been a bargain.

The 4/3 systems Phil references and Canon's NEW EOS M with an APS-C sensor will continue the migration to smaller rigs for many SLR shooters.

Where I disagree with Phil is while going to a smaller system people still buy way too many lenses even for UW shooting. I've been traveling with two lenses and a lower cost SLR for years now. If you're into super close macro external diopters are a cheaper and easier solution than multiple ports, etc.

I also agree with Andy on gear getting so good it's killing the working pro :( Those who produce great results time and time again and should be paid for that performance guarantee!

My head wasn't going to explode, as I said I am just tired of internet "smack talk" is all..........

All in fun :)

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

Yes - Ikelite is definitely a bargain in comparison to others. That's what I had for my last housing (Olympus C4040), and it shot great photos with the DS-125 that I had. Now I have a Nikon D7000, and only dream of some day being able to afford the rest of the gear that goes with it.

Its interesting to see the various materials that are being used to build housings. A lot of companies are using metal - which would definitely lend to their higher than average prices, when compared to Ikelite. Maybe sometime soon someone will come out with an exotic new material that is as strong as the metal used in the housings (which is probably zinc or magnesium based), but cheaper.

It'd also be nice if manufacturers would keep to some sort of standard. Camera bodies keep changing, every year - including buttons, placement, etc. You'd think they couldn't add any more buttons after a point!

I apologize if this is sort of a newbie photography question,

it seems that with the expense of the housing and being specific to the camera body, once you buy the camera and housing, you are pretty much committed for a while. But yet they are coming out with new camera models each year.

Are there significant improvements on camera technology each year?

I mean when smart phones first came out years ago, there were significant improvements each year, but as they are getting more mature, the annual improvements are much less significant. I have to imagine that camera technology is much more mature.

Yes they come out with newer better cameras each 3 months, if you count Sony, Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic BUT who says you need to buy one. I am using a camera that is 3 years old and while I drool over the D800 and the 5D MIII the truth of the matter is that the 7D is a far better camera than I am photographer and while you might get bragging rights on the liveaboard for showing up with the D800 and two D1 strobes and a Sola 4000 you won't get better pictures than you would have with the D700 or the D300 or the Rebel etc. Sensors have gotten so good that a bit more pixels or a bit more DR might help but only a bit and only if you are constantly shooting at the limit of what your current camera can do. We all should dive more, take more pictures and get good enough so that an upgrade REALLY makes a difference.
My $0.03, inflation adjusted.

Getting into the water to get the shot is optional, getting back on the boat is mandatory (Stolen from Ed Viesturs)
Bill

---------- Post Merged at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:47 PM ----------

Its interesting to see the various materials that are being used to build housings. A lot of companies are using metal - which would definitely lend to their higher than average prices, when compared to Ikelite. Maybe sometime soon someone will come out with an exotic new material that is as strong as the metal used in the housings (which is probably zinc or magnesium based), but cheaper.

It isn't the aluminum that is expensive (lb for lb) Al is about half the price of polycarbonate but the $Million CNC machines cost a lot more to run than making a single mold and using it repeatedly.

In the medical world, the price of devices might seem high but don't forget that the current FDA requirements mean a $25M at least trial to get a device to market.

nimoh - you can change all the time, but honestly, you don't need to. I'm still rockin' the Canon 40D and though I know I'll change one day, I'm not even looking at options yet :)

i use a flip and a buddy has a go pro hero 2, another has the 3d go pro setup... all have the ability to add lights...all can go around 200'...these are not a professional or magazine quality but really does a good job at capturing recreational photos for under 1000 rig... I used to carry an expensive large setup...now small and convient wins over large and bulky. Traveling with the flip or go pro is very easy as they fit most anywhere. I used to have a dedicated pelican case just for the case and lenses. ... as i get older, ease of diving is more important as I now dive with my boys and my wife...we carry a lot of gear... cameras and video cameras need to be small for us...

I think the cost of the housings are very reasonable, given the fact that they are a very low production runs,R&D required,complexity etc.
The purchase price is high but if you upgrade regularly you can recoup a lot of the cost, or keep the old camera as a backup.

Diving is an expensive hobby, photography likewise. I feel lucky that so much choice is available at a reasonable price. The new setups are so much better than ten years ago. Cars are expensive too but so much better than the junk that used to be built. I love technology!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom