Been busy diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My knees can’t handle a boat ladder. Tracy’s boat with the diver lift is a day’s drive away. No trimix for me! Another CCR for maybe a few dives a year? Not worth it at all.

I get my shipwreck fix in other, more sustainable ways. I’m a volunteer copy editor for field reports for the WI Historical Society’s maritime archaeology program (it’s a state agency). My instructor is one of their maritime archaeologists. They have a number of volunteer divers, but no one with my skills, I’m told. I’m also on the board of the WI Underwater Archaeology Association and will be assisting with transcription of historical Great Lakes wreck reports.
Get knee replacement surgery - it will solve your issues! My dad had his left knee done last year (at 90 years old) and his right knee 6 weeks ago (now 91). It's changed his life and restored his ability to do the things he likes to do without pain. It's a few months of pain and PT, but well worth it.

I just had my left hip done in April and pain is 100% gone and mobility is back to normal!

I worked in orthopedics for years. Success is defined differently- and you are right, knee replacement is mature as a surgical procedure and pretty routine. Outcomes can be very good - but which outcome? Pain decreases are often the measure of success. Less common measures are the quality of life ones. Can you walk down stairs confidently? Can you get out of your car easily? Can you get off the toilet? Can you bend down to hug children/grandchildren? Can you return to activities post-op that you did before?

Sadly, only 20% of knee replacement patients report satisfaction following surgery. Pain resolution is good, but they are often disappointed with other outcomes.

Best advice: find a surgeon with massive experience. Like only does knee replacement. Hundreds per year. Not a guy who does hips, knees, elbows, dogs, etc. Find a surgeon that will spare soft tissue and do little in the way of soft tissue release in resolving bone deformities. Get pre and post op education.
I believe successful knee replacements are predicated on a few things, including how bad you let it get and any resultant "permanent" mobility/range of motion issues you may have developed as a result before doing the surgery.

Perhaps the biggest factor to ultimate success is your dedication to the required physical therapy routines post surgery - it is painful and many people don't follow through adequately and have poor results. I have a friend who had a knee replacement - she was overweight and never lost the pounds and didn't follow through with the physical therapy as she doesn't do well with pain so is now still walking around with a cane!

However, my 91 year old dad has had both knees replaced in the last year (right knee just 6 weeks ago) and he can already walk without a cane as needed and, judging by the last knee, will be largely back to resumption of normal activities with no issues by 5-6 months. However, he is religious about his weight and does whatever PT he needs to do, regardless of the pain.

Totally agree with your advice and would recommend HSS in NYC for anyone in the area that needs joint replacement. The surgeon who did my hip in April does over 300 operations per year (and has been since 2012).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom