Been busy diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie,

Does this (i.e., your decision to sell your CCR) mean that you've decided to no longer pursue tri-mix diving, to no longer pursue tri-mix-deep Great Lakes shipwrecks?

FWIW, A couple of recent SB threads suggest (to me) that certain mCCR/eCCR tri-mix rigs configured as "dil-out" rigs can be pretty light-in-weight. I wonder if such a CCR, with only an Al 40 of oxygen (say) will agree with your knees, yet still be sufficient to take you deep enough for you to get your occasional fix on deep-enough Great Lakes shipwrecks.

rx7diver
My knees can’t handle a boat ladder. Tracy’s boat with the diver lift is a day’s drive away. No trimix for me! Another CCR for maybe a few dives a year? Not worth it at all.

I get my shipwreck fix in other, more sustainable ways. I’m a volunteer copy editor for field reports for the WI Historical Society’s maritime archaeology program (it’s a state agency). My instructor is one of their maritime archaeologists. They have a number of volunteer divers, but no one with my skills, I’m told. I’m also on the board of the WI Underwater Archaeology Association and will be assisting with transcription of historical Great Lakes wreck reports.

My knees can’t handle a boat ladder. ...
My doc told me in the late 1990's, when I began feeling pain in my hips when running on gravel roads, that the pain would only increase, and once it became severe enough, have the replacement surgery. In 2020, I finally had both hips replaced, a few weeks apart. Instant relief!

If replacement surgery will solve your knee problems, think carefully about having the procedures, better sooner than later. Although knees are much more complicated than hips (so I'm told), the replacement procedure is mature with a very, very high probability of success.

FWIW.

rx7diver

My wife had both hips and a knee done. Recovery with the knee was quite a bit longer.

My doc told me in the late 1990's, when I began feeling pain in my hips when running on gravel roads, that the pain would only increase, and once it became severe enough, have the replacement surgery. In 2020, I finally had both hips replaced, a few weeks apart. Instant relief!

If replacement surgery will solve your knee problems, think carefully about having the procedures, better sooner than later. Although knees are much more complicated than hips (so I'm told), the replacement procedure is mature with a very, very high probability of success.

FWIW.

rx7diver
I worked in orthopedics for years. Success is defined differently- and you are right, knee replacement is mature as a surgical procedure and pretty routine. Outcomes can be very good - but which outcome? Pain decreases are often the measure of success. Less common measures are the quality of life ones. Can you walk down stairs confidently? Can you get out of your car easily? Can you get off the toilet? Can you bend down to hug children/grandchildren? Can you return to activities post-op that you did before?

Sadly, only 20% of knee replacement patients report satisfaction following surgery. Pain resolution is good, but they are often disappointed with other outcomes.

Best advice: find a surgeon with massive experience. Like only does knee replacement. Hundreds per year. Not a guy who does hips, knees, elbows, dogs, etc. Find a surgeon that will spare soft tissue and do little in the way of soft tissue release in resolving bone deformities. Get pre and post op education.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom