Beefy Bull Sharks – Jupiter – 04/19/2013 - Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SSharkk

Contributor
Reaction score
Jupiter Dice Center www.jupiterdivecenter.com

3 Tank, Friday, Deep Ledge Dive

Check In = Marcelo

Captain = Mike

Dive Guide = Sandy Cook

Deckhand = Bo

Vis 60 to 80 ft.

Water Temp – 74 F

Seas – rough

Animals of note:

5 bull sharks, 4 big and very beefy, 1 regular sized FLMNH Ichthyology Department: Bull Shark

5 goliath groupers (aka jewfish, Florida appellation)

1 loggerhead sea turtle

1 school of unicorn filefish (it is unusual for us to see more than a few at a time Aluterus monoceros, Unicorn leatherjacket filefish : fisheries

1 school of bonitos (Florida appellation), Little tunny - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1 school of hundreds of jack crevalle (Florida appellation) Crevalle jack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , plus 2 large individuals being cleaned

I did not complete the third dive. The high pressure seat on my spare Mares Proton ICE regulator blew causing the regulator to free flow at a remarkable rate. This happened with just 4 dives since an overhaul for a similar problem. My ultra-reliable Aqua Lung Conshelf XIV is at the factory for its regular overhaul.

The divers who completed the third did however report sea turtles, goliath groupers and lots of caribbean reef sharks Caribbean reef shark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I did not complete the third dive. The high pressure seat on my spare Mares Proton ICE regulator blew causing the regulator to free flow at a remarkable rate. This happened with just 4 dives since an overhaul for a similar problem. My ultra-reliable Aqua Lung Conshelf XIV is at the factory for its regular overhaul.

I have a Mares Abyss as my main 2nd stage and a Proton on my pony bottle. It seems that you need a really good service center to work on the Mares 2nd stages: I've had several techs tell me they are difficult beasts to work on. I've had the same problem you have with my Proton (only a couple of dives after being serviced as well) when I used it as my main reg, fortunately never at depth, but once when I was just about to hop in the water. I've found Force E can service them and since I've started to use Force E, I've not had the same issues.

Great to see the abundance of Reef Sharks, from what I understand this indicates a healthy reef system!

I have a Mares Abyss as my main 2nd stage and a Proton on my pony bottle. It seems that you need a really good service center to work on the Mares 2nd stages: I've had several techs tell me they are difficult beasts to work on. I've had the same problem you have with my Proton (only a couple of dives after being serviced as well) when I used it as my main reg, fortunately never at depth, but once when I was just about to hop in the water. I've found Force E can service them and since I've started to use Force E, I've not had the same issues.
Thanks for the info sportxlh. The Mares reg has even been to their US headquarters for repair and still was causing problems after I got it back. Maybe I will try Force E as you suggest.

---------- Post added April 21st, 2013 at 12:07 AM ----------

I am diving jupiter tomorrow as part of my AOW. Using all the previous specialties I learned in the course
Good luck tomorrow matts128. Pray for sharks, turtles and goliath groupers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom