Becoming a DM at55

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @GrandWazoo

You're young. If you joined a liveaboard with your chef and management skills and certified as a scuba instructor, you might have an opportunity to transition toward instructor/guide and perhaps, eventually, cruise director. It would probably even be to your advantage to discuss this career progression when/if you interview. It would give the strong impression that you are serious and looking to make it a career.
Thanks for suggesting that 55 y/o is young, as I said in my original post, I am fortunate to be in very good physical condition and also, I feel young in spirit. All of this is greatly appreciated and I am going to make contact with the Aggressor company.

Chef is the toughest job on a liveaboard. If you are willing to take that on there is a good chance that you could get your professional diving certifications from the instructors on the boat. Seeing and participating in the day to day dive ops on the boat would be the best possible apprenticeship. DMs are a dime a dozen, good liveaboard chefs are as rare as hen's teeth. Good luck with your pursuits.

Chef is the toughest job on a liveaboard. If you are willing to take that on there is a good chance that you could get your professional diving certifications from the instructors on the boat. Seeing and participating in the day to day dive ops on the boat would be the best possible apprenticeship. DMs are a dime a dozen, good liveaboard chefs are as rare as hen's teeth. Good luck with your pursuits.
Being a chef is a difficult job, I am interested in being something different, if I can use my skills as a chef to get the training to change careers, then that is an option.

My good friend parlayed his chef's skills into becoming ship's captain.

Working as a DM is teaching scuba. If you are a new diver I recommend getting lots of diving in, trying all sorts of dives: cold water, tropical, salt, fresh, day night, deep, shallow, etc. and assess if this is really what you want to do [many, most people will say no]. Don't be swayed by the "DM lifestyle propaganda" it really is slog, and not romantic. If you still love it and want to spread that love to others, you may be DM material. If you love it but don't want to teach, just keep on diving, without the responsibility of helping others learn.

Most DMs in N. America don't get paid much if at all. Tips, perks maybe. Instructors can make a living if they have enough courses to teach. I've read that a few do very well teaching the most advanced courses for a high fee.
But, it's apparently not a great way to make any real money for the vast majority.
A lot like musicians-- too many willing to work for free or peanuts because it's something that's looked at as being fun. So is music and sports, but if your in a top pop band or the NBA you make millions.
I got paid $300 Canadian for assisting OW Courses (comes to just under minimum wage). People here usually say this is extremely unusual.

Being a chef is a difficult job, I am interested in being something different, if I can use my skills as a chef to get the training to change careers, then that is an option.
Very interesting question, and some interesting answers. I myself just went through the DM process, not that I want to work as a DM, I just did it for more education and a different experience. I picked a location that would offer a more varied dive education, Cozumel. Lots of variation in topography, Currents, boat dives, swim throughs, walls and working with a wide variety of divers. I got all of that and more. Worth every penny. As opposed to a class in a murky lake back home where I will never dive. I did do my rescue in the murky lake which was beneficial as well. I figured over 2 plus weeks of training, I was able to do 25 plus boat dives, many shore dives and some pool time. All included in the DM fee. That made it worth it without the cert. In chatting with the DM's and instructors I was told in many area's they don't want to take jobs from locals so that will be a hurdle. It sounds like with your work experience you could offer many other abilities that may be very beneficial to a shop, resort or live aboard. That is also mentioned in the DM training, having other training that you are able to offer, beside just a DM. Some of the DM's get by with their DM work and instructing in Cozumel, and some have some side gigs,
Good luck to you! and let me know if you have any other questions.

I got paid $300 Canadian for assisting OW Courses (comes to just under minimum wage). People here usually say this is extremely unusual.
That's $227 USD. I've been paid less for an open water class of about 6 people. Not everyone finished for various reasons.

you could work as a chef on a liveaboard. of course, your life expectancy might vary with location and boat...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom