Becareful on that ice NewEnglanders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSarus

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just had the dubious privilege of pulling someone from the ice today. I was hiking at Giuffrida Park in Meriden, CT and walking along the reservoir since the ice was about 2-3 inches on the edges (it also enabled me to avoid all the dog poo left by the dog walkers). A young girl with her 2 tiny dogs came by the trail and she took them off the leash and sure enough they went out on the ice to the middle of the reservoir were there was no ice and the both dogs fell in. The girl freaked out and ran out to get her dogs as I was heading to them also. Well in a flash she went over the edge and into the water and was able to pushe her 2 dogs out but couldn’t get out herself. She went under briefly but was able to clamber about at the edge while screaming for help. I was able to get down on my stomach near the icy edge and give her a hard pull out. Luckily the ice was strong enough and didn’t give way. The thought of witnessing a persons death was one I’ve couldn’t bear and had to do something. Lots of thoughts go thru ones mind. What if I hadn’t gone for a hike? Did the dogs see me on the ice and go out only because they saw me on the ice? Etc. Well, we got her and her dogs to a warm car and we all left before any emergency help could arrive as people did call 911 but told them no ambulance was needed as she appeared cold but OK.

Becarefull out there. The ice is thick enough to walk on but there are very dangerous spots also.

I wish there was some easy way I could use this experience to help others avoid the same fate.

What a day.

Well, the woman was able to push her dogs out of the water it seems.. so I imagine the dogs were a bit chilly but turned out OK.

That was awesome, though. That'll do wonders for your karma, huh?

Yea, great job. I was up at lake George, NY today and there was a little ice on the edges but the middle of the lake was open water! As we drove along the lake we saw ice fisherman in thier shanties and snow mobiles and all sorts of heavy equipment. I wouldnt be suprised if somebody fell through.

yEA I've always wondered why I survived and an ordeal 6 yrs ago. So karma is there and it may change me a bit.

The dogs were fine. They shook off the water but headed back to land. I was praying they wouldnt go back in. Everything turned out well but Im abit shaken up and still wondering if the dogs went out because I was out there. But heck, all is well.

Thanks guys.

Yea divedadepths seeing that open water out there gives me a chill hows a dog or small child to know. I guess the solution is to watch your children and keep the dogs on a leash.

Wow! ... very cool thing you did .. thank you for such prompt action on your part :D

just wondering ... they say to use anything you can to extend your reach .. did that come to mind ?

Well D_B I was already out there and I was getting near to the water hole just before she fell in. I was hoping to help the dogs before she got to them. I had my small backpack with me and was going to extend my arm with it. When I noticed the ice was not cracking and seemed sturdy, I got brave enough to get on my stomach and reach to her with my arm instead of the backpack. Thats all I had as it would have prolonged my getting to her if I would have gone back to the shore to fetch a fallen branch which there were plenty. There were plenty of spectators but no one wanted to come out on the ice as there is a sign "Thin Ice" posted. I had confidence because I had just walked someways on the ice and examined the cracks keeping the other ice diving thread posted by MSilva in mind. The ice was atleast 3" thick were I was walking maybe 2" were the hole was. I believe the city has pumps in the middle to airate the water.

judgment call on your part .. sized up your options first ... glad you were thinking .. and were there :D

"He who saves a single life, is said to have saved the entire world" - Tractate Sanhedrin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom