Becareful on that ice NewEnglanders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big time Kudos ScubaSarus!

First I hope I'm never in your boots and if I do I hope I am blessed with the strength and the luck to make a difference.

I sounds like the little lady had pretty good presence of mind to function long enough to get the dogs to safety while in winter garb. Just how young was she?

Pete

She was a young girl around 19-21 her boyfriend was practically frozen or maybe in shock and didnt really know what to do and had a dog to take care of himself. Thankfully she had tiny little dogs and was wearing a thick wool sweater under a thinsulate jacket. She really sprinted out there fast. I was nimbly scuttling my feet not to disturb the ice. What really sticks with me is the tone of her voice in distress and the sight of seeing her claw at the edges of the hole and falling back everytime she tried to get out.

I appreciate all the nice comments and Im sure all of ya's would do as I did if in the same situation although maybe a bit different.

I dont know if Im a hero, its like that movie "Its a Wonderful Life" were fate acts in a strange ways. In the right place at the right time and certain things happened in the past to put me in this situation.

Hope youre doin well out there guy.

If you find this stays with you a call to the local fire department chaplain may be helpful.

Actually Spectrum I think you all have been a great help.
And talking about heroes, IMO the paramedics, police, FD and others etc that save lives everyday are what I'de consider true heroes. I just had the opportunity to do what they do every day once. You all have helped me vent this out quite a bit and I'm much appreciative of the kind words.

Great job Scubasarus...whether you feel like a hero our not, the act in itself was heroic.
I was driving thru the Bay today, here on Lake Champlain, and was surprised to see about 30-40 trucks, cars and shantys set up out on the ice. Guess our ice is a little thicker than what you guys have, and it looks like we'll have an ice diving season after all. This time last month I would have bet against it,
Again, great job.
C-Dawg

ScubaSarus:
I dont know if Im a hero, its like that movie "Its a Wonderful Life" were fate acts in a strange ways.

However you choose to label it, you do did a good thing there buddy. :D

Well thanks you two.

I was surprised the ice formed that fast since last week we had no ice. March is only 1-1/2 months away so I hope you get the ice diving in.

Well lets put it to bed then.

And thanks again all for the good words.

ScubaSarus:
Actually Spectrum I think you all have been a great help.
And talking about heroes, IMO the paramedics, police, FD and others etc that save lives everyday are what I'de consider true heroes. I just had the opportunity to do what they do every day once. You all have helped me vent this out quite a bit and I'm much appreciative of the kind words.

Don't minimize what you did. Professionals are just that... professional. It's a job. When I'm at work and a dead or dying person rolls thru the doors I'm in my comfort zone. I can focus on doing what needs to be done because I'm trained to do xyz, I've been doing it for years, and because of that I'm able to keep my head and remain detached while doing it.

What you did was totally different. You were out for a stroll and encountered a situation that could have cost you your life and you acted spontaneously. You clearly understood the risks you were taking, i.e. you worried about the ice being thick enough to support you. Yet you still acted. Not a lot of people have the wherewithall to do what you did. Most folks stand on the shore and say "Somebody DO something!" You did. You put your *** on the line and acted to help some unknown individual. That 'doing' is what makes you a "hero."

Allow me to congratulate you for your selflessness and bravery. I'm not a spokesman in any way for any type of public service group, but I know that everyone who works in emergency response applaudes you and your action. Hats off to you from one ER nurse, speaking for all of the docs, nurses, EMT's and Police/Fire men and woman who know just how much courage was involved in going out on that ice.

Paul Comerford

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom