Beaufort, NC Papoose & U-352 Trip Report 04/18

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlaskaDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Eagle River, Alaska -> moved to Cape Cod, Mass
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We dove with Discovery Diving out of Beaufort, NC aboard the Captain Lady vessel. The captain, Leroy Claytor was an excellent captain, spearfisherman, diver and was extremely knowledgeable about the wrecks themselves. He’s been captaining since 1983! We took a 2 hour boat ride (okay, I confess, I lost a few ounces of coffee overboard, but was otherwise just fine for the diving) to the Papoose & to the U-352. Seas were 6’ swells and it was about a 15 knot wind on the way out calming down dramatically on the return home (no coffee spilled on the way home….). The nearby Gulf Stream brought in branches of warm water. The captain mentioned that this was the first time he had people out in 4 weeks to these wrecks. We were thrilled.

The Papoose was 117’ to the sand with 68F water. Air temps were in the 70’s and sunny. We saw a huge school of bait fish. In fact, there were so many small fish we could not see the wreck and had a difficult time keeping an eye on the circling Sand Tiger Sharks. They were huge! The schools of Amberjack were extremely dense. The Southern Sting Rays were plentiful and huge as well. The three of us, (2 adults and a 15 year old who did great) enjoyed approximately 20 mins of bottom time. The Papoose was an oil tanker from WWII. We found out that there were three tankers sunk in the general area which were mislabeled as each other. Intersetingly, this is the Hutton. For all intents and purposes, it is the Papoose. We went down the line with a moderate current.

The U352 was 111’ to the sand in 70F water. Air temps were in the 70’s and sunny. The three of us, (2 adults and a 13 year old who did great) enjoyed approximately 20 mins of bottom time. The school of bait fish here was smaller and less dense than the Papoose affording greater visibility of the wreck. Ribbing on the top of the sub was all that remained as the deck plates had wither been removed or had eroded away over time. The currents were crossing at the apex of the sub. The history was interesting on this one as the crew did not realize that they had their gun mounts blown off by depth charges from the US Coast Guard Cutter Icarus. We saw lots of marine life including Yellow Arrowline crabs, a giant Cowrie and several species of fish.

These are my first dives in North Carolina. I’d definitely come back for more diving.

Glad you had a good time, Discovery runs a good operation & Capt. Leroy is top notch.
The Hutton (formally known as the Papoose which is actually off the Cape Hatteras coast in 200fsw)
is a good dive & 1 I want to dive again. The Sub is a good dive, but it is in the 1 & done range of sites for me.
Were you all diving air? Seems like short BTs.
You definitely need to come back to N.C. as there are so many good wrecks to see.

That is a great outfit and Capt. Leroy is one of my favorite skippers.

Jeff

Were you all diving air? Seems like short BTs.

Adults dove EAN30, doubles and the teen boy dove a single AL100 or AL80 air. There was a different child on each of the two dives; both having different SAC rates and using different tanks.

Dive times are as noted below. Bear in mind that these are both young teens with this being truly the most challenging dives they have ever done. Both did very well and had both of us as dive buddies keeping an eye on gauges and the overall situation.

Papoose
Total dive time: 32 mins
Time at bottom: 20 mins

U-352
Total dive time: 32 mins
Time at bottom: 20 mins

Definitely understandable & kudos to you guys for taking younger divers out for the experience of the great dives in N.C.
EAN30 is the mix of choice at most ops in the area.

wonderful! glad you had a nice time & got to go out!

AlaskaDiver, Thanks for the dive report. I am driving down from Pennsylvania on Thursday and diving with Discovery this coming Saturday (4/26). I am hopeful for good weather, sand tigers, and a submarine.

Sounds like you guys had a great time and some awesome dives. Thanks again!

AlaskaDiver, thanks for the nice summary of NC diving. We are heading there later this week from Michigan with a group of us. We've been diving in the Great Lakes for a short bit and wondered what kind of equipment we'd be needing. Sounds a lot warmer than our recent dives here. I usually use 63's but sounds like 80's would be better?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom