Beat The Heat!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Note it's a lot more humid in the Northeast, so ambient air temps will feel very warm even without direct sunlight. Of course, you guys may be acclimated to that and not have such an effect, while it would be a killer to me. :)

I've seen one person come close to a heat-related injury already this year. Why?
a) very much overweight & older (pushing 60 I'd guess)
b) admitted to being hungover
c) drank only coffee to start the day that day
d) brought one 16.9oz bottle of water

Folks, don't be that guy! It's crazy! Personally I don't drink often, and not at all if I am diving the next day! People don't realize how much drinking dehydrates the body.

My personal tips:
1) As we have already seen in this thread, bring water to pour in your wetsuit! If I am on a boat, I will suit up, jump in & flood my wetsuit, then get back on the boat to gear up.
2) Wear a UV blocking rashguard & use sunscreen. Sunburn is for suckers. Don't be a sucker.
3) Drink water, not soda/pop/coke/whateveryoucallitwhereyoulive. Drinking a Pepsi between dives is not helping you.
4) Stay in the shade if possible.
5) Tip your DM if he has to pull your big hungover ass out of the water because you are too jacked up to help yourself. Surely your life is worth a few bucks.

When I got certified, I had a 3mm shortie and I was in a pool. After an hour, even in a pool, I was starting to shiver. Than my open dive was in a quarry, and the water was 50 on the top and cooler below.....I was turning white, and although I enjoyed the dive, I was miserably cold. I'm in the process of wanting to pick up a 7mm full. I figure its easier to just be over prepared and than just cool down as needed.

We generally carry a cooler full of lovely wet multipurpose water. We leave our 3mm suits unzipped and around our waists, drink regularly, and pour water into the lower half of the suits to keep our legs cool. Once we're ready to gear up, we zip up, fill at the neck with more water and put our gear on.

Around here, its the extremes: Suiting up in high 80's-mid 90's, with heavy humidity. Surface temps are in the 70's, but you are in heavy gear to deal with the 39 degree water lurking below.....

always dumping water on my head (dive dry) to try and cool off. Not much else to do. Keep hydrated!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom