BCD Manufacturers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

n733lk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Anybody want to take a swing at ranking the quality of the top Recreational BCD Manufacturers, including how you reached your conclusions? :idk:

Should make for interesting chatter.

:coffee:

I have only had Scubapro BCD's but in 20 years of diving and over 500 dives I have never had a single problem or failure. I don't know that I would ever buy anything else. So I'd put them high on the quality list.

It would be hard for me to rank others since I've never owned them.

Quality? It might take years of observation if not expert training on RF Sealing of the bladders, stitching methods and nylon material knowledge.

What people think they like is an entirely different query.

With no exceptions that I can think of, there have been no design or material specification failures in quality among the top manufacturers. Anomalies in the manufacturing process do occur and the few that do are quickly remedied by recall and replacement. They're all right in the same top level quality bracket.

Automobiles should be so good. They are not, not by a longshot.

Here's how the government (god help us) evaluates them by NEDU http://rubicon-foundation.org:8080/dspace/bitstream/123456789/3558/1/ADA388932.pdf

Anecdotes... is that you want? I have a Cousteau BC that I dive 27 times x 2 weeks a year, then each of those weeks, it gets dried out and stuffed into a big Rubbermaid box, placed in a Honduran shed where the temps likely reach 140° over the summer. Rats have chewed on (so far) unimportant parts of it. It still works. I have no idea how long it's been since they made a Cousteau BC, but it might have been over 20+ years ago. They're on eBay right now going unsold for $20. BTW- the last time they serviced my reg after such storage, a cockroach climbed out of it. This periodic maintenance stuff is a really good idea, I must look into it. But... for now, I blow it up, wait for any leaks, test the purges, and hope that it still fits. The heat makes them shrink in that place around my gut.:wink:

Back home in Chicago I collect BC's like kids collect I-Tunes apps. I must have four hanging from the beams and a couple I have never had out of the box. They just seem to appear at the door. Hanging up there's a Mares Stilleto, a DUI with BPW set-up, and a Poseidon with lumbar support, and the other is a standard wrap-around Stab Jacket- I forget what brand. They are all built better than any Japanese car I have ever owned. Equal in quality.

Utility? That's another question entirely, and highly subjective. I select the right BC for the day of diving I am going off to enjoy. Each has it's utility and inherent values. None is perfect for everything.

To give you an understanding of my perspective, I now seem to have 4 dive computers. Me? I prefer wrist mount, I have my reasons, but each of them does more than an Apple 2E with the price tag to boot. I have also learned that under stress (effected by narcosis, the situation, and my feeble older mind) combined with the complicated gyrations needed to operate them, I often wish that I had remembered to take my wife's simple hockey puck computer along as well- with the green-yellow-red pixel thingies.

Again, personal perceptions of utility and fit are entirely a different matter and by deffinition, quite subjective.

Last edited:
Most of them are just as quality-made as the Chinese can make them.

I feel that in most cases any appraisals of brand quality are going to be very sunjective. Sure, you can say you don't like plastic D rings or the feel of the material brand-X uses.

If you are asking this as a new diver in search of a BC the real question IMO is which brand & model is best suited to you and your diving. Quality is reaonably consistent across the brands to where it's not a decision maker.

Start by considerintg gear you have used in training and any rentals on your own. Make a list good and bad criteria and start investigating. If at all possible you want to get the unit in the water, even if it's only a shop pool for a test dive. How it fits and you well you reach features all change in use.

Pete

but each of them does more than an Apple 2E with the price tag to boot.

I have an Apple IIe in storage, probably has cockroaches in it too... I wonder if I could write an AppleBasic program to do Deco calcs... hmm. V-Planner for Apple.

I use the same reg as what my dive school used for their student/hire regs. I took the view if they could survive that abuse, anything I could throw at mine would be unable to break it. Besides it made service easy, just hand it in at the shop and they'd do it with theirs. Simple, Solid and Reliable.

Again, I got the same Apollo BCD the shop used, because if they survive students and hires, it would survive me.

Ok, I cheated. mines customised with a whistle in a D ring and a few other bits tucked into pockets, but then again, it's not as if I attacked it with an industrial sewing machine or painted it pink.

I have an Apple IIe in storage, probably has cockroaches in it too... I wonder if I could write an AppleBasic program to do Deco calcs... hmm. V-Planner for Apple.

Ikelite makes a housing for it, they list it with the housing for the eRDP.

Hmm... I have a wing from Oxychec, a backplate from Fred-T, D-rings and webbing from who knows where. I cannot remember where the STA came from either although Tobin from DSS told me he made it as a OEM. So who made that thing, beats me, but it works great. It's out onthe balcony now drying from the morning dive.

Well, in my opinion...

:popcorn: let the games begin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom