BCD - lightweight / travel BCD with tank holder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

troyce1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was strongly considering the Zeagle express tech, however, after researching it more on this forum I read some users complain about "tank-roll" others said it was a non issue.

I would like a lightweight BCD preferably under $300-350 USD, that has a "tank holder" or craddle.... I'm not sure what the exact terminology is.
I can add D-Rings later if necessary, pockets would be nice, but I could potentially add them on as well.

I am mostly a rec diver, however I did just complete my first overhead dive in a cenote in Mexico, but doubt I will be doing similar type dives frequently, just warm water tropical reef type dives and occasional quarry dives.

Any suggestions on a lightweight BCD that may fit the bill, or be close to it?

Thanks
-Terry

I do not think that tank roll is problem with ET if it is properly adjusted. I dive large steel tanks and do not have a problem with tank roll. The back plate is a polymer composition that is fairly stiff.

With two tank bands tank slippage is nonexistent if the band are adjusted properly.

As a travel BC the ET is great, packs small and light weight.

It is also very versatile, I use it for all my diving even in the cold waters of Minnesota with a 35# wing.

There are multiple weighting options, Zeagle has several, there are 3rd party weight pouches and the weight belt.

If you want more information there have been several large threads on the ET.

I hope that helps.

You should check out scubapro's litehawk if you want a backfloatation similar to the zeagle but with the scubapro cam system or the Scubapro GO BCD

Another vote for the Express Tech. Been using one for three years and even with steel 95's there is no "tank roll" whatever that is. The closest thing to a Back Plate and Wing in my opinion. If you want something more secure than the Zeagle that's your next option. Aluminum plate, 20-35lb wing, simple hog harness. Tank bands are irrelevant as far as style goes. I've been using standard bands for 7 years. Nearly 400 dives, hundreds of hours in the pool and never had one slip.

I have no experience with the Zeagle, but I've just come home from 2 weeks diving in Indonesia with Oceanic Biolite. It packs small, is about 5 pounds, and feels very stable. Had no feeling of tankroll, and spending most of my time in slight current turning everyway to find the right angle to take a photo, it has been turned in every direction.

Another reccomendation for the ScubaPro LiteHawk. It is light weight, has a solid tank cam band and support, and is well made. I have been very happy with it.

Thanks for the input guys. "tank roll" was what a few other SB members described having issues with on the ET and the Scout, do to it not having a molded tank harness attached to the BCD.

I like the simplicty of the ET, but I would probably add a sternum strap, along with some pockets on the waist strap, further bumping the price up.

I've looked into the Biolite and the Litehawk but they are both much more than I am really looking to spend at the moment.

There are many Scuba buoyancy compensator's out there and what works best for you depends a lot on the personal interest of the person and the budget that he was maintaining. These are of various models and of different costs. Tank holders are various in sizes , models , prices. They all are available in small, medium and high prices. There are many companies providing them according to the requirement of the user. Could you please provide some more attachment files for the detailed view of the topic. I would like to thank the members of the forum for promoting the post.

if you want a light weight travel setup, this set up should work and is a great deal. Just select alu. plate in the drop down.
DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

I don't know what Jim Lapenta can do but with the HOG 23 you can save around .5 pound and around $40 because the HOG wings don't require a STA (I use a STA because I feel it holds everything together and makes switching tanks easier).

Most "travel" BC's are based on a regular BC but with cheap light weight materials.

Back
Top Bottom