BC/suit for Nor Cal diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hopefully not too much off-topic, but Cricket (of Otter Bay) recently posted some views on Rubatex:

Many years ago, we preferred Rubatex G231 neoprene for our drysuits, as it was nitrogen blown, not air blown like many neoprenes today. It did not compress as quickly as the stuff we used for wetsuits. Unfortunately, we had a huge lamination problem with them the last few years we were using their material, with suits coming back as bare neoprene, from the fabrics falling off. Jeff and I tried so hard to help them solve the problem, but they wouldn't listen. We'd order five sheets, and have to send three back after hours of inspection.

After a while, they shut down everything for a period of time, and when they reopened, they invited us back, but we needed to meet their minimum quota, which was impossible for us, being that we are such a tiny business!!

That is true, the problem is the EPA and the solvents that are required for the bonding process. Material needs to be shipped overseas and laminated and this (as I understand it) required huge minimum orders.

I've always used skin-two-side, so no lamination is required. It makes for a better suit anyway, better fitting, more comfortable, warmer ... you do have to be a little handy with glue since the seams can not be sewn.

Good luck finding Rubatex. They went out of business a couple of years ago.
Actually, not to highjack the thread, but... I contacted Rubatex personally and have had an ongoing e-mail conversation with their customer service rep. Guess what, Rubatex G-231N is available in skin 2 sides from Rubatex, which has re-organized and is back in full swing.
G-231N skin x 2 is available in 3/16", 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", and 1/2". I have prices per sheet. Sheets come in 40" x 120". The 5/16" is around $183 per sheet and to make a suit for me I would need 1 1/2 sheets.

Pretty cool eh!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom