BC & Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chocolate:
What would you reccommend for an entry level set of BC & Reg?

Welcome to the neighborhood. Hope you enjoy diving, it's a blast.

As for your question. Rent it. Then find some different brands and models and rent them. Do that a few times and come back and ask oppinions on your experience with the various equipment you've rented.

Basically, a question like you asked, while innocent enough is like asking everyone what kind of car they like. Everyone has their own oppinion.

Brian

Need more information. Where will you be diving? What are the water temps? What exposure protection will you use? I would second the recommendation to rent for a while and try different equipment before you buy. Remember that everyone thinks their gear is the greatest in the world so base you choice on your personal experience and the advice of some trusted dive buddies.

Scott

chocolate:
What would you reccommend for an entry level set of BC & Reg?

I think that the choices are sooo endless, it's somewhat difficult to give you a good answer. I've liked some products that were not recommended and disliked others that were highly recommended. A great piece of advice I was given was to try as many products before you commit your $$$. Good luck. :dazzler1:

I'll join the others in recommending to try out as many products as possible and find the ones you like. I would add a recommendation to stick to the "big" names (Mares, Aqualung/sea Quest, Scubapro) because of servicebility all around the world
If you consider diving more frequently than couple of times a year on vacation, I wouldn't recommend getting entry level gear because sooner or later, you'll want to upgrade and will have to buy new gear, which in the end would be more expensive than buying yourself decent gear from the beginning.
IMHO a regulator can not be "too" high performance. This is the thing that keeps us alive down there and it is nice to know that your reg can handle everything :wink:

Scottri:
Need more information. Where will you be diving? What are the water temps? What exposure protection will you use? I would second the recommendation to rent for a while and try different equipment before you buy. Remember that everyone thinks their gear is the greatest in the world so base you choice on your personal experience and the advice of some trusted dive buddies.

Scott

Thanks guys.
It seems like I really have to try for myself to know.
I know that I should go for the big names, however, since everyone of them carry so many different styels, could someone name a few styles that I should try to get me started? And excuse me from my lack of knowledge.

And Scottri, to your questions, I'm from Hong Kong and I guess I will dive mostly in South East Asia's tropical waters.

Thanks again.

chocolate:
Thanks guys.
It seems like I really have to try for myself to know.
I know that I should go for the big names, however, since everyone of them carry so many different styels, could someone name a few styles that I should try to get me started? And excuse me from my lack of knowledge.

And Scottri, to your questions, I'm from Hong Kong and I guess I will dive mostly in South East Asia's tropical waters.

Thanks again.
If you just wanted couple of names for your needs. these could be good choices for you
Reg: Mares V16/Proton
BC: Sea Quest Pro QD or the female equivalent or Mares too.
I personaly don't like Scubapro but there gear is good too.
This is not entry level gear but solid, tested middle range gear

In my opinion, I love the Diverite products. There RG2000 reg is excellent and preforms well at any depth/condition/temperature. Also, the Transpac II w/rec wings is great because you can use it with single tanks, which I am assuming you will be mostly doing, but also doubles if you get into that type of diving. If highly advanced certification is not in your path, the wings will still provide great lift if you have to bring something to the surface w/o a lift bag. Anyways, whatever you choose, make sure it is the best, not the cheapest. You are dealing with your life here and I certainly would not like to be the one that says, "I told you so" if something were to happen to a cheap reg/bc. If money is tight, save up for the best equipment possible. That is just my thought on it.

CNTdiver:
If highly advanced certification is not in your path, the wings will still provide great lift if you have to bring something to the surface w/o a lift bag.

Using yourself as a lift bag is not really a good idea.

Damselfish:
Using yourself as a lift bag is not really a good idea.
You were faster than me. :wink:
If you have to inflate your BC in order to bring something to the surface, than don't do it. It's an accident just waiting to happen.

Back
Top Bottom