BC question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually had a question about this. Do lds's that you have trained at bought some equipment from get upset when you shop outside of their shop?

The owner of the LDS I trained at definitely got upset that I a) didn't buy my gear from them as soon as I finished my OW class, b) that I wanted to dive a back inflate and a BP/W, before deciding which BC style I prefer, and c) because I didn't want to sign up for AOW/EFR/Rescue Diver, 2 weeks after my OW, and with only 6 dives under my belt. He got so upset he even stopped sending me notifications of upcoming boat dives...

It felt as if they were trying to sell me gear and services, before I had the chance to explore my options or even form an educated opinion on the kind of gear I want and why I want it. Guess who came out the loser! I have since decided on a BP/W setup, Jetfins, long hose, etc., but I still could have spent a significant amount of money shopping the rest of the gear from them (tanks, regulators, exposure protection), as well as participate regularly in their dives and get my airfills from them. Not to mention I will not recommend that LDS to any of my friends.

Thanks for all the people who actually offered some good advice, with reasons of why. If you guys have any decent advice or tips pleases don't hesitate to pm me. I'm about done with this thread for obvious reasons.

Thanks again, Jerzi.

Perhaps I should have been more direct, like the OP was when he asked you to "give it a rest":

even though you were agreeing with him.

I know, right?

That's what I thought when I read it. There he is admitting to intentionally starting an inflammatory thread, then when it gets rolling he goes and tells ME to "give it a rest" even though my position was the same as his.

That was my first laugh of the morning.

My second of course being your post above about how it was "cowardly" to use your lame off topic post where you attack another member rather than the argument as an example of what frequently occurs on internet message boards.

Thanks for all the people who actually offered some good advice, with reasons of why. If you guys have any decent advice or tips pleases don't hesitate to pm me.

I don't see the obvious reasons.

You started a thread, and you got some good advice, bad advice, some healthy debate and some off topic flaming. So you take from it what you can use, and you ignore the rest.

Posting your dissatisfaction with the entire thread just because there are some posts that make you upset is rather over the top.

Isn't it force of habit to blow bubbles when you don't have an air source?
I know that I do it now without even thinking about it if the reg comes out of my mouth and this is only after a few sessions in the pool.

...ummm, if ya spend some time checking out the 'accidents and incidents' forum you will likely soon abandon your 'force of habit' theory.....

I was just wondering if the LDSs sell equipment based on what they dive and the companies who they deal with?

......um, yeah......dive shops (and most other 'for-profit' entities) do have an unfortunate tendency to want to make $, which usually involves trying to recommend/sell you their products and 'disrespect' their competitors products....pretty sad huh ? :)

Thanks for all the people who actually offered some good advice, with reasons of why. If you guys have any decent advice or tips pleases don't hesitate to pm me. I'm about done with this thread for obvious reasons.

Thanks again, Jerzi.

....don't feel too bad...it is highly likely you will be a 'normal' diver....you have very little idea of all the things you don't know...things you won't remotely begin to appreciate until you start racking up a decent amount of dives...especially a decent amount of dives under more strenuous/unpleasant/challenging situations (high waves/open ocean/deep/night/reduced vis/boat entries-exits/rough shore entries-exits/etc.) It's commendable you try to do some 'homework' on the WWW / swimming pool...but unfortunately there is absolutely nothing like actually diving in the 'real world' that separates the men from the boys and gives you the fundamental understanding of all the issues/factors involved in diving.

I assume you've heard the saying: " you don't know what you don't know" ? Trust me here...that's YOU....and NO you can't just read it out of a book or on the WWW !

....years from now, you will look back on your 'beginning' and sometimes wonder how you even survived.....or look back at all the 'stupid'/expensive gear choices you made and wonder 'what the heck was I thinking?"

.....don't make a federal case out of it.......go get yourself a set of 'starter gear'....not too expensive....and just go diving....and not to the lake/quarry....challenge yourself and expose yourself to the open ocean...different conditions (weather/entries/exits/night) and over time you and your gear will evolve and you will gain the insight into all the factors that right now.....trust me...you are completely clueless about.....which is OK....EVERYONE started sometime and has to go through this process...and now it's your turn....have fun!

Most instructors and DM's will be wearing what the shop sells. I am a fairly new convert to a BP/W with 7' primary hose, and I was a convert from the day I tried it. But....when I go out with OW classes I have to wear my jacket BC and traditional hose setup.

Carrie
I sort of do this. I stole my wife's gear for the pool sessions, but for checkouts I do go with my 'normal' gear, BP/W long hose set up. I figure I want to have what I'm comfortable with in the OW setting. Anyway at the point in time we're doing checkouts and instruction is over. For specialties, they are already divers and should get used to seeing other equipment configuration.

There are some back inflate models that do in fact still have pockets. I use a Aeriees (Cant spell and its not in front of me) and the model is a coral. I have fell in love with it as it has never dumped me face first and it allows me to float effortlessly on the surface. It is an integrated model with 2 very roomy pockets. Just my 2 cents.

Also loveable about the setup is in warm water I only need about 6 - 9 pounds (in salt water) and no weight at all in fresh to be able to sink at a very slow decent. If I had to give a 10 to any BCD it would be the one I have.

Hope you get to dive more.

I actually had a question about this. Do lds's that you have trained at bought some equipment from get upset when you shop outside of their shop?

In the Orlando area, there is one dive shop that would get upset if you trained with them and bought gear elsewhere. And... that's a big so what. The place is not worth developing a long-term relationship with, anyhow.

The rest are cool. Send me a personal message (PM) if you want more info.

I would think a diver would want to purchase their gear from the shop they trained at, since it naturally follows that they trust the shop and would go there for servicing.

So why go elsewhere?

Price and selection. Expect a LDS to charge a bit more than the internet, but not to gouge you, and if you want a particular piece of gear they don't have, give them a chance to obtain it for you.

If they can't deliver on price and slection then they have no grounds to be upset with you for purchasing elsewhere and it should be possible to maintain a good working relationship with them going forward.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom