BC question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jerzi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've been in the OW class for a few weeks now and was reading up on the boards about back inflate BCs and wondered what one would feel like. I asked some of my instructors why they didn't use a back inflate and they said it dumped them face first on the surface. I perceived it was almost as bad as someone dunking you under water and you really couldn't control it. One of the younger instructors I talked to at the dive shop said he absolutely loved his back inflate and would let me try it out in the pool that night.

I put it on and it had no cumberbund and really appreciated that fact because I don't like them, rather have a crotch strap. The instructor showed me the inflate/deflate and I was off. The first thing I noticed was the freedom I felt around the front part of my body. I then tested the buoyancy at the surface waiting for it to push me head first into the water. I felt what the non back inflate instructors had mentioned, but after adjusting to it for a couple of seconds after using the other BC for a couple of weeks it felt a lot more natural, like I was just standing there instead of floating.

I was getting really excited at this point over the BC, but the real test would come from how it felt when I was under the water. I released some air from the BC and started down in to the great depths of the 12 foot pool while catching neutral buoyancy before the bottom. I started to scuba around and it was amazing, It felt like I was naked with the tank gently resting on my back. When I came back up to the surface I was sold.

Why is it that back inflate gets downplayed that much?
Is it a lot different in open ocean water with swells at the surface?

I really can't see why everyone wouldn't be trained in these, is it just easier for instructors to train unexperienced people that have never dove before in the standard type BC or is it by instructor preference?

Thanks guys,

Jerzi

Last edited:
Why is it that back inflate gets downplayed that much?

It doesn't.

Is it a lot different in open ocean water with swells at the surface?

No

is it by instructor preference?

Pretty much everything in diving comes down to "preference" of some form or another.

It felt like I was naked with the tank gently resting on my back.

You want to REALLY feel that way? Try a Backplate/Wing Set-up!

Eclipse30_BC_color.jpg

I dive a back inflate. They only push you over at the surface if you over-inflate, perhaps to compensate for over-weighting. I find I can get plenty of bouyancy at the surface to cope with chop or swell without fighting to keep upright.
I like the less restricted feeling compared to a jacket and find in much easier to maintain a normal (face down) trim underwater, as with a jacket you can get some air around your stomach that tends to roll you onto your back.
Maybe the reason you can't do your certification in one is that the jacket is more widely used and you need some experience in these during certification. Otherwise maybe a newly certified diver might panic due to the compression around the chest when they first dove a jacket?

The idea that a bp/w or back inflate will push you face forward in the water is incorrect unless there is an issue with over-inflation. The wing, on the surface, will allow diver to lean back and float indefinitely like riding down a river with your butt in an inner tube. It is very relaxing.

Stay close to the instructor who knew how to handle back inflate bcd's at the surface and FAR away from the ones who didn't.:shakehead:

If they had answered personal preference or comfort, Ok.
But uncontrollable dunking:confused:

Things that make you go HMMMM!

Greetings jerzi and welcome to Scuba Board! I am very pleased that you were able to try a back inflate BC and make your own mind up! If you are properly weighted and trimmed out there should be no face down blues. Over inflation can cause it as well but that is a easy fix that usually is learned quickly.
Why do so many not like them? I am just guessing that they have not tried them or had the chance to. My wife just switched this past summer because of the very things you mentioned. She thought she had to have pockets to be happy so she went with the jacket. When she moved into a Dry suit it was hell dragging around that integrated jacket. We split 50/50, half weight belt half integrated and finally she was tired of it and gave in. She now dives with about 10 lbs less and can move freely. Her trim has never been better and she loves it. Now I just have to buy another stainless BP and wing.
Why do instructors not teach in them? They do! We have been doing just that and it is pretty awesome. It is easy to make the BC fit more variety of people than a jacket. This is just my opinion but you can make little adjustments that custom fit it to the student. Ultimately we offer either and let them decide what they want to train in.
One thing we have noticed is while performing surface BCD / weight belt removal the crotch strap can be hard for new students to operate. This to comes into play at depth. I just thought it fair to bring these up they are small issues that many have overcome and some chose to not to endure.
One thing that is great about diving is the vast variety of gear choices out there.
What one fellow likes another hates! That is why it is very important to TRY BEFORE YOU BUY! I strongly emphasize this to all students. Do not just take someone's opinion but get out there and try it out, decide for yourself what works and what does not. Kudos to you for doing just that! It is your $$$$ , time, and ultimately life so make your own calls on gear. Do the research and spend enough time to gain experience with the retailer you choose to go through. Customer service is not dead and there are great people out there who want to see their customers happy.
Good luck and safe diving, you are on your way. Have you ordered your back inflate BC yet?
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

They will pitch you forward.. Takes about 5 minutes to learn how not to let that happen. Once you figure it out, no big deal..

I was basically told the same thing in my OW class. The instructor warned that we should not even try a wing or back mounted BC until we had a lot more experience. That's okay, I didn't buy his line of reasoning so much and do want to eventually try one out.

Six of one, half a dozen of another. On the surface, there is a slight push forward with back inflate. If you are unconscious with no buddy, you'll drown. Of course, if you're unconscious with no buddy, you'll drown with any other BC as well. It's a non-issue. I've used all styles of BCs and have concluded that vest, back inflate, horse collar, or BP/wing really doesn't matter. What does matter is does the BC trap air (you do not want one that does) and is it streamlined (you do not want one that isn't)?

I dive both a BP/W setup and a traditional jacket BC depending on where I am and who I'm diving with. If I'm with students as a DMC I wear the jacket BC because it's familiar and also really, really bright so they know where I am. If I'm in a drysuit or on personal dives I prefer the BP/W setup because it's more free and gives me better control.

Honestly it all boils down to personal preference. I dove a BP/W on my first dive after getting my OW.

Back
Top Bottom