BC integrated weights – dangerous?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you need both hands free just hook a leg through a shoulder strap of your BCD. Yes it's that easy.

No, I didn't notice that this was 7 years old!!!! :D

Rick, tell us what you think now.

drdaddy

Well, now that it's almost 7 years later....

I appreciate a form of integrated weights that are secure. For example, a V-weight with a backplate and doubles could be called "integrated", or plate weights like the ones I use with my rebreather. My original post from so long ago expressed concern at not being able to don and doff my kit underwater with integrated weights, as well as with a weight belt, and this still holds true. However, in the many hundreds of dives I've made since that post, I have never needed to remove my kit underwater.

Now as far as weight pockets in BC's, I think they are a problem waiting to happen (as is evidenced by the many people who lose them), and I find a standard weight belt with a good steel buckle hard to beat for safety and simplicity.

That's my opinion today. Ask me again in another 7 years. :D

...I thought this was the reason for properly maintaining and inspecting your gear prior to use? How do weight pockets just "fall out"? If you dive a BC that's prone to that type of failure then the bigger issue is not the design flaw, but that you continue to dive that piece of equipment....

... and I find a standard weight belt with a good steel buckle hard to beat for safety and simplicity...

I dove in the Turks and Caicos a few years ago and on every dive at least one person had their weight belt fall off on their giant stride. It was raining lead down there. I use a w/i b.c. Never a problem.

I played around with ditch and don in a pool last year (LadyHawk integrated weights, no weight belt). Depth of this pool was only 9ft and there weren't any problems with the exercise. Then I decided to ride my gear :)

2751052841_7121985eee.jpg

You're wearing a thin shorty. There is a fair bit of difference between that and a 7mm full suit.

But even so I used to dive with an integrated weight BC and could ditch and don in both my 7mm as well as my drysuit. But you need to make sure you can hang on to it as that is a lot of lift to fight against if you lose it. A thin shorty would be a lot easier.

On my first checkout dive in March my weight-belt came off at 40 ft and I headed to the surface. I dumped by BC on the way up to slow my ascent. After reaching the surface I dove back down and was able to grab the weight belt and swim with it in hand to the instructor at the time. I have virtually no body-fat so I was easily able to swim down to get it, but because it happened once I definitely do not trust weight belts, they are a single point of failure and it could be dangerous, especially for deep dives. I now own a weight integrated BC.

On my first checkout dive in March my weight-belt came off at 40 ft and I headed to the surface. I dumped by BC on the way up to slow my ascent. After reaching the surface I dove back down and was able to grab the weight belt and swim with it in hand to the instructor at the time. I have virtually no body-fat so I was easily able to swim down to get it, but because it happened once I definitely do not trust weight belts, they are a single point of failure and it could be dangerous, especially for deep dives. I now own a weight integrated BC.

Weight pockets can and do fall out, including those that clip on. I've had two buddies lose weight pockets on dives - nothing bad happened, as they were both quite overweighted (being new divers) - but they still had to fork out for more weight and a new pocket.

You can split your weight between pockets and a weight belt, I think this is a better idea as you can take your rig off more easily but if you drop your weight belt you have some weight in pockets. I have 6lb non-ditchable weight with my stainless steel backplate and I carry another 12lb on a weight belt. In twins I have no ditchable weight though, so it kind of varies depending on what I'm using.

You're wearing a thin shorty. There is a fair bit of difference between that and a 7mm full suit.

But even so I used to dive with an integrated weight BC and could ditch and don in both my 7mm as well as my drysuit. But you need to make sure you can hang on to it as that is a lot of lift to fight against if you lose it. A thin shorty would be a lot easier.

Yes it is a shorty; 3mm to be exact. I don't always take the camera and don't always take pictures but I can also easily get of my rig in a 3mm full suit with full 5mm boots and a thick hood. Doing it with my 6.5 semi-dry is a bit more difficult but it has nothing to do with my buoyancy; it's just plain harder to move. I do not have a drysuit to try it in yet.

Pockets can fall out and weight belts can fall off. I really don't see much difference other than comfort, convenience, and personal preference. I'd much rather lose one weight pocket than a whole belt though.

This thread just gave me the chance to post a silly picture which shows that you can have your weight integrated BC off and it really isn't an issue.

I'm not sure I get it.

With a weight belt, you'd become seriously negatively buoyant.

With integrated weights, you'd become positively buoyant.

In either case, hold onto your BC (or even your reg hose or something in a worst case scenario) and you're not going anywhere.

I have not read the entire thread, so forgive me if this is redundant.

If you are properly weighted to begin with, you will not be "seriously negatively buoyant" if you remove your BC. If you are, then you are carrying too much weight. A BC is a convenience, not a necessity.

With a weight belt, removing a BC should leave you only slightly negative with a 7mm suit.

Yes it is a shorty; 3mm to be exact. I don't always take the camera and don't always take pictures but I can also easily get of my rig in a 3mm full suit with full 5mm boots and a thick hood. Doing it with my 6.5 semi-dry is a bit more difficult but it has nothing to do with my buoyancy; it's just plain harder to move. I do not have a drysuit to try it in yet.

I don't see why there is no difference in buoyancy - your 6.5mm will be a fair bit more buoyant, especially in depths as shallow as the pool. It's harder buoyancy wise in thicker suits. In a 3mm full length suit, I don't need a BC.

Pockets can fall out and weight belts can fall off. I really don't see much difference other than comfort, convenience, and personal preference. I'd much rather lose one weight pocket than a whole belt though.

Sure. The chances of having you remove your rig underwater are low anyway. It's more a skill to do to learn to be comfortable underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom