BC integrated weights – dangerous?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Windwalker- Lose the farmer john. The new generation 7MM one piece suits with titanium lining and seals on the wrists and calves are actually "warmer" than a regular farmer john. You'll probably be able to drop 10-12lbs of that weight, and be much more comfortable.

Very true. I stubbornly held onto a Farmer John far too long because "it worked just fine." It finally ripped and I bought a new one-piece. Wow, wish I'd done that years ago...

-Charles

I own a Seaquest Pro QD. I've used it for about eighty dives or so. The velcro that holds the ditchable weight has worn and the weights have left me at times when it wasen't the plan:eek: . I continue to use the BC, and I still use the non ditch pockets, but I use a weight belt with it now. This system seems to work better then OEM anyway, because I can run ten pounds non ditchable and have a fairly light weight belt. 14 lbs used with a full 7mm suit.
I see that Seaquest has since gotten away from the velcro, like everybody else. Gee, I wonder why.

Jim

YaquinaBay
[/URL][/IMG]

YaquinaBay
[/URL][/IMG]

I had the same problem even when it was new. Looked down on the floor of the Red Sea and saw my weight laying there. Good thing my wetsuit was compressed at depth or I would have not recovered it and had a "rocket ride" to the top.

I did not like the newer SeaQuest "SureLock Weight System" because there were reports of their being caught when getting in boats or tight places/wreck dives and "self launching".

The above pictures are my solution = looks like a ScubaPro setup. Secure and easy release. Just squeeze and pull. Over 100 dives on my main Pro-QD, since this fix, and I've never had an issue.

I put this system on all 3 of my Pro-QDs (main, backup, and smaller size for diving w/o or w/lighter weight wetsuit).

My tank fell out (yeah, I know...) and my buddy was unable to unstrap the velcro and fix it, so I wanted to take it all off and fix it my self. But I didn't know how easy this would be with the reg clamped in my mouth, one hand held to a strap to keep me down, and only one hand to put the tank back while floating feet up being pulled toward the surface. I'll have to try this in a controled environment.
So it's not about ditching, it's about fixing. Even if I have a buddy who can help, I don't like to HAVE to rely on him.
Thats why you get out of the BC, get back into the BC "backwards", fix the problem (with your now 2 free hands) and do the opposite when done?

About 3 months ago I started diving a BC with integrated weights, and I love the way it evens out my trim. But last week I was diving and wanted to remove my BC/tank underwater to check out something when I realized that with my 7.5mm wet suit and all my weights in the BC, I could not remove my BC/tank without becoming dangerously negative buoyant. As much as I like the integrated weights, it seems to me that it is costing me in safety if I’m unable to doff and don my gear. In fact, it seems dangerously limiting.
Has this been discussed before? Am I missing something here? Otherwise, I’m going back to using a weight belt.
What do you think?

That is why I use a belt. I have had to remove my gear over the years on several occasions. But YRMV. N

Y'all do realize the question in this post is 7 years old:D

And Rick's gear has changed quite a bit since then also...:D
Oxycheq wings; Apeks, Atomic and ScubaPro regs; Whites Fusion & Diving Concepts Drysuit; Salvo lights; Couple sets of doubles, bunch of stages; Souped-up Mako Scooter /Inspiration-Hammerhead CCR

I've done some work with a weight integrated BC, just trying different things. If I had to fix my tank, or do anything that required 2 hands, I'd put my foot through the shoulder strap (fin first) and bend my knee all the way. This effectively clamps my BC to me, and having the weight below my waist allows me to stay upright. I may be a little more flexible than others, though!

However, these kinds of questions still comes up "regularly" so no problem with me to have an old thread about it resurface..

It's the Zombie Atopiclypse!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom