BC for a BIG GUY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chris3536

Reaction score
Dear Friends,

I am currently going through my Open Water Certification and have completed 3 confined water dives. Prior to my classes starting, I purchased my own equipment. For the most part I purchased the best equipment I could (Ocean Master Mask, TUSA Split Fins, Atomic B1 Regulator, Suunto Cobra)

Since I am a big guy (6'0" 350lbs, 52"waist) I wasn't sure what BC to get for someone my size. All the other equipment I purchased was non-size specific and works fine for me. I was really lucky and was able to purchase a slightly used Oceanic Tour Bio-Flex BC that was in unbelievable shape! I fits my body very well and remarkablely comfortable.

During my 3 pool dives, the only trouble I have had is with bouyency. I takes 22lbs to get me down in the pool. Under water the BC works great! But prior to and after my decent/ascent when I'm on the surface it is very tuff! When trying to remain stationary, I spin around in circles, tip face forward, and am generally out of control. I have to move my arms, kick my feet and spend quite a bit of energy to regain control.

After asking 3 different instructors, I get 3 different answers: 1. Buy a jacket BC, 2. Don't inflate your BC completely on the surface, 3. Buy a BC with more lift (my Oceanic is rated at 40 pounds) I have no problem buying a new one, I just want to get the RIGHT one! Any suggestions! Do I need to do something different or do I need a new BC?

#1 won't solve anything. There's nothing wrong with back inflate BC's that a little less air won't cure.

#2 - This makes sense.

#3 - Lift isn't your problem.

Sounds like your BC is over-inflated to me. Students have a tendacy to fill their BC's as full as they can get them. This isn't necessary. Try this next time you're in the pool....have just enough air in your BC to float your head out of the water. Then lean back slightly with you feet positioned towards the front instead of directly under you. And relax, like leaning back in that chair at the dinner table that your Mom kept telling you would break! You're spinning in circles because of all your movement.

Dee
PADI DM#160500

If ever there were a body built for a stainless steel backplate and harness, yours is it! Combine with a single tank adapter and low pressure steel tank and you'll be able to get rid of most of that weight. Be ready for a little extra practice on learning how to handle the back inflation on the surface comfortably, but my bet is that once you try the SS plate you'll love it.
Rick

What Rick said plus carrying that much weight you could move some to a keel weight on the back of the cylinder. No need to get fancy, just a cam strap with an 8 lb weight on it, as a guess.

Roak

I own and dive the Oceanic Chute II (similar to your BC) and an OMS IQ. Both are comfortable for big guys like us. We do NOT belong in a jacket style BC, as we have enough stuff cramping our style without the additional squeeze from our BC. :tease:

First off, you should have two weight pockets on the back on either side of your tank that will hold 5 pounds each. I wasn't sure if your model had them, so I looked it up on the Oceanic web site. Go ahead and put half of your weight on your back. No, it's not ditchable, but you really only need to be able to ditch 3 to 5 pounds anyway. Using these pockets will help that trim everyone is talking about and it will keep it close to your back where you can control it better.

Secondly, time and experience are your friends in this situation. The more you practice your "duck walk" the better you will be able to handle the weight and keep your balance. I am in far better shape than when I started diving, and I am sure the same will hold true for you. I have joined a health club and I do work out at least three to four times a week. Go ahead and take the time as you will be rewarded for it with better bottom times and a need for less weight to get you down.

Most of all, learn to take your time and learn to gooooooooooo slooooooooooooow. Have fun and you will be rewarded with better health and a great hobby.

I am a little taller than you - but a similar body shape (6'6", 350 lbs, 54" waist) I use the Dive Rite Transpac II (in addition to a weight belt) and find it very comfortable - and not too expensive - I paid $500 with Rec Wing (51 lbs of lift) and weight integrated pockets. For fresh water (I have not been in salt water yet - as I live in Central Ohio) I use 18 lbs - 8 lbs in the weight integrated pockets and 10 lbs on my weight belt - positioned as far back around the belt as I can (this helps with the face-plant problem.)

In addition to less air in your BC at the surface - you might also try a little less weight (start by taking off two pounds, then four..)
The amount of weight you need is more a factor of 'personal bouyancy' than actual weight - I know when I did my first two pool sessions (with a rented DUI back inflate BC) I was overweighted at 24 lbs - making it a real pain to stay in one place on the surface. At the end of my 2nd session - the instructor and I spent some extra time in the pool removing weights a little at a time until I had it right...

Heya Chris,

Welcome to diving!

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind...

1. For your pool sessions are you using a wetsuit, and if so, what thickness is it?

2. What types of diving would you like/plan to do once certified?

3. Are you planning on diving local spots along with travel locations?

4. Has your instructor/shop introduced you to a backplate/harnass system?

Ok...now the reasoning for the ?'s...

1. You stated that your BC has plenty of lift ~40, I was wondering if your weighting would change (increase) once you began diving open water spots in the area. If you are currently using a 3 mil or less in the pool, you can expect your weighting requirements to change with the increased neoprene thickness often needed for local dive spots.

2. If you think that you will be doing any "type" of diving that maybe beyond recreational...deeper, wrecks, cave, and etc., it is my opinion that gearing up for these types of diving is never too soon, if you are comfortable with the gear and understand the reasons behind the configuration. Again...back to the lift capacity of your BC...if diving deep, your wetsuit will lose it's bouyancy characteristics after the first 33 feet or so, and your air supply demands may require more lift.

3. Local diving is limited if you are not using proper thermal protection. If you plan on diving in our home state, or even eventually taking advantage of the Great Lakes, you may begin considering a drysuit.

4. Once you are certified, I will be happy to meet with you and let you dive a backplate and harness kit. I have a dive buddy that is probably just around the corner from you and we get together sometimes 3 times monthly.

Now...to answer your questions....Jacket BC, More Lift, are not the issue. Over inflation of the BC at the surface is probably the culprit.

One thing I did when I first began diving was I would pull my cylinder under my butt and sit on it on the surface with only the needed amount of air in the bc/wing.

Hope this helps...

C_C

My 6’3”, 300lb keister says:

· Steer clear of the jackets. Consider a backplate/wings combination or one of the softpack “pseudo-tech” back-inflation BCs made by DiveRite or ScubaPro. In the long run, you’ll be more comfortable, more suited for a wider range of diving, and at greater peace with the universe, even if the learning curve is somewhat steeper.

· Practice your weight distribution. This can get pretty creative, but there are lots of ways to move weights around to achieve better balance. Always remember that you want to be trim horizontally as well as vertically.

· Practice your buoyancy at the surface. You’ll never be perfect but you can sure get better. And remember to relax and get used to most of your head being in the water. It’s not uncommon for new divers at the surface to spend a lot of energy trying to climb out of the water with every kick. It’s exhausting and can lead to panicky struggling.

Stop, breathe, think, act. If you’re struggling with your buoyancy and trim at the surface, put the reg in your mouth, stop whatever you’re doing (pull your arms in and float), think about what the problem is and what’s causing it, then devise a solution. If you get it right on the first try its luck, so be prepared to keep at it. The first step is probably to let some air out of your BC, as silly as that may sound.

Welcome to the pond! Meet you on the bottom, some day.

Thank you to all the replied to this posting. I appreciate the great advice. I have since put my Oceanic Tour BC on ebay and am looking to buy a backplate/wing. My LDS is a Zeagle dealer and will be considering their products. I also will get a chance to to try a dive right. Anyone have advice for the Zeagle or other brands?

NetDoc had it right...putting some of your weights in the non-ditchable pockets would help you on the surface. They conteract the full back inflation and keep you in a head up position on the surface. Keep in mind, you will have to do this with ANY back inflated BC or wings.

If you are considering Zeagle or Dive Rite, I would go with Dive Rite. Zeagle makes GREAT BCs, but the wings are not compatible with any other manufacturer. Most wings have the standard holes in the wings to fit with backplates and doubles (please, someone correct me if I'm wrong), but Zeagle wings are made only for their harnesses; they use a strapping connection. You can "burn" holes into the straps to make them fit other harnesses though. If you are thinking about getting into doubles, go with DiveRite. If you aren't, then maybe you should think about keeping your Tour BC and just moving some of your weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom