bay islands beach resort vs. cocoview???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hahaha! thanks for the input; sounds like a ringing endorsement. regarding the diving; are they fairly liberal in their 'supervisory' policies or am i going to get nagged every time i approach triple digit depths?

thanks for the input guys! sounds like bibr might be the place to go. it was really helpful to hear from two of you that have been to both resorts. if the tripadvisor reports were truly planted there by a competitor well, then that just really sucks. and agreed, in over 20 years of diving i've never been to a place where i couldn't at least get a coke...

No problem, they don't baby sit unless you ask them to! Just be up front and fill them in on your plan! Many dives can be over 110'ft so have fun!

i approach triple digit depths?

Either place will let you dive whatever profile you may like, just tell the DM of your plans in advance. If you like deep, BIBR is likely your better choice for some less than obvious reasons.

BIBR also offers one really great thing. It's close enough to the party scene at West End that you could easily cab it on over. (But far enough away you can't hear it!) :cool2:

I think this Trip Advisor was not written by a competitor. It was written by a guy who doesn't get out much. Read what he said about the dive op.

Trip Advisor Griper:
The boat captain even took us to a different site than planned when we told him we had already been to the one he had chosen.

They took note of our dive sites, pressures, depths and times for us. And even though the owner, Cam, refused to make copies of it for us after offering us copies of it at the beginning of the week, one of the divemasters was able to graciously procure copies for us so we could fill in our logs.

First he fretted about doing the same site, which any well travelled diver knows is irrelevant- dive sites & critters change every minute, and then that goofy thing about wanting copies of the dive site lists and logs. If you're that anal about it, write them down yourself. Very few resorts print a weekly list (largely for billing purposes) other than those in the Asian basin. The guy was a noodge.

Most negatives that are written by Roatan's sock puppet competitors rail against all AI's- this clown did not. Again, Trip Advisor is for vacationers who dive, not those who are on a dive vacation.

Go to either of these two resorts, CCV or BIBR if you want a dive vacation.

Tripadvisor can be a useful place to learn about hotels but only as one source of possible information. You have to read between the lines to determine which reports were done either by someone clueless, someone with different standards and priorities than yours, or by a competitor (it's pretty obvious that happens sometimes.) And you need to take any advice about diving (or any specialty activity) with a grain of salt - people who are really into a particular thing will be writing about it on boards such as this, not there.

I think the bottom line is you're going to have a great time at either of these locations. Both are great places and both have great dive operations. Would I go back to CoCoView...............absolutely. I had a good experience with them. I just lean toward BIBR for the reasons I stated but you can't make a bad choice with either. I forgot to point out what RoatanMan has said. It is a little easier to get around the island from BIBR because they are on the main road where at CoCoView you have to get someone to take you by boat to where you can access the road.

Also, if you've never done it, take the zip-line tour through the jungle. It's a blast!

BDSC

Well, Single Divers had a trip to BIBR over Labor Day. My buddy and I were at AKR that week and did visit one night. It was surprising how the bar shut down at 9:00pm. Maybe it had to do with the group, but if you were looking for nightlife, this wasn't the place to be. I think you would need to head over to the West End for that.

Here is a review..

Singles Week Roatan...May the fun begin! - SingleDivers.com Surface Interval INDEX

They are going back next year over Labor Day, so I believe the overall feelings were positive about BIBR. We personally preferred AKR based upon first impressions, but not staying there, I really don't have enough personal knowledge of it vs Cocoview to give a true comparison.

I believe my next trip will be down to the West End and dive with Coconut Tree Divers. But I certainly wouldn't hesitate to stay at AKR again either.

It is based on activity when they close the Bar! So maybe the "Singles" had other things going on????:wink: I bet it wasn't a Thursday!

It is based on activity when they close the Bar! So maybe the "Singles" had other things going on????:wink: I bet it wasn't a Thursday!

You are correct, it was a Tuesday. But given the number of us, I don't think it was activity. I got the feeling that they always closed at that time, that the bartender was heading home so he called last call at 8:45. There were about 10 of us who hung around till my cab arrived at 9:30 when my cab came to take us back to AKR.

They would have stayed if half the people were drinking, but if one or two are drinking and the rest just chatting they will close early assuming your next day is a dive day and they won't make enough on two drinks to run the bar! It is understandable in my opinion, if you would have told them you were going to stay up and party till ten they would have as well in my experience with them....... But a lot of people who want to party harder do go the short distance to the West End! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom