bay islands beach resort vs. cocoview???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Toes

Contributor
Reaction score
hey kids:

doing roatan the first or second week of january and have tried to narrow down the resort we want to be working with. i've gotten it down to these two.

it's going to be a guys-only trip, so we're not wanting/needing a bunch of extra curricular activities i.e. we're not going to need to shop, ride horses, or need a playground for the kids. this is pretty much 'diving only'; so access to the better house reefs as well as minimal supervision from the dm's and the least 'cattleish' boats would be what we're really focused on.

positives and negatives on both of these would be appreciated. didn't mention it above but would also like to hear about the rooms, food, and anything else that you feel might be pertinent. thanks for your help!

erik

thanks. i got good recommendations from a friend about this resort but unfortuantely have been seeing some pretty bad stuff coming out of there recently on trip advisor.

I would be interested, seeing the owners live there and are involved in the community and support the schools and the tourist industry..... I would be suspicious of attacks on a competitor.... You have to go by word of mouth from those that have been there!

I read it, went looking! Read the second one! LOL some people can never be satisfied! That is Roatan Inclusive, that said I have never in ten years been turned away hungery from BIBR.... The Popcorn is free any time and the candy was probably a fund raiser for the school.... The bar and sodas are extra as they are at most land resorts around the world! They will make hot wings when asked and I have never been charged for them, but if there is ask before hand.... Th food is top notch and I am a picky eater and like what I like, the fare is typical for a third world country and given that it isn't Cracker Barrel! I will be going back this next August, because I can do 21 dives in a week and get some great shots! I can say more about the other choice, but I prefer to stick to the positive and let the rest go to an education and non are free, unless you believe Hussian Obama! :wink:

hey kids:

doing roatan the first or second week of january and have tried to narrow down the resort we want to be working with. i've gotten it down to these two.

it's going to be a guys-only trip, so we're not wanting/needing a bunch of extra curricular activities i.e. we're not going to need to shop, ride horses, or need a playground for the kids. this is pretty much 'diving only'; so access to the better house reefs as well as minimal supervision from the dm's and the least 'cattleish' boats would be what we're really focused on.

positives and negatives on both of these would be appreciated. didn't mention it above but would also like to hear about the rooms, food, and anything else that you feel might be pertinent. thanks for your help!

erik

You should post this down on the Bay Islands Forum, you will get lots of replies.
You can get all the answers about Cocoview by going to their website www.cocoviewresort.com and click on the Chat link. They have their own chat board.
robin:D
heading to CoCoView in 13 days!

I wouldn't give you a dime for any SCUBA Vacation report from Trip Advisor. Neither place has what anyone could describe as Cattle Boats.

I have dove the BIBR sites, been diving with BIBR, and eaten there a few times. I have seen all the rooms. A lot of people like the place and would go nowhere else, nor have they.

I have stayed at CCV a total of 52+ weeks.

In other words, unlike Trip Advisor and most others, I have seen both. It's hard to know the difference unless you have done this.

Look at the websites, see the boats. Bay Islands Beach Resort, Roatan-* Dive Boats or Welcome to CoCo View Resort Boats Take a good look.

These are the two resorts on Roatan that have shore diving. Here is BIBR Bay Islands Beach Resort, Roatan-* Diving Roatan- BIBR's Dive FAQ and here is CCV Welcome to CoCo View Resort Our Front Yard (FIBR shares the same shore dive as CCV, but about 100 yds further away) Look at the distance from shore entry that the cool stuff begins.

I've seen them both, so I really could say more, but I think your best source of information and research is right here on SCUBABoard.

Both resorts have their fans. Very, very few posters have been to both resorts.

The big plus to BIBR is that they have quite a few openings, CCV is often fairly well booked up.

My usual dive count at CCV is 27 or 28 in the week. That and two naps a day.

100% BIBR see here:Two Tanked Productions HD & SD Underwater Productions and video services

The difference is the size and service, not to mention Spooky Channel and AKR down the channel with the Dolphin Dive.... Great food, great people, great dive operation, smaller well maintained boats! Two Tanked Productions HD & SD Underwater Productions and video services

So I have been both places and I return back to BIBR every time!

I will second what Papa Bear has said! I have also been to both places. Here is what I found the difference to be.

#1. Hands down the food is better. No two ways about it. Now there was plenty of food at both places and the food at CoCoview isn't bad. It's just not nearly as good as BIBR and I have never gone away from the table hungry.

#2. I think the diving on the BIBR side of the island is better and most of my group agrees. And here is something else to consider. They both do 4 dives a day or they did when I went. CoCoView gives you a dive in the morning and then a drop-off in front of the wall at the resort next. Same in the afternoon. So you really get two different sites and two in front of the resort. BIBR gives you two different sites in the morning and then a different site in the afternoon with the last dive a drop-off at Spooky Channel. So you get more varied locations with BIBR.

#3. The dive guides I had at CoCoView were good no doubt but in my opinion, the guys at BIBR were awesome. They gave us a lot of freedom in our dives. I can't say enough about how great they were.

#4. I only stayed at the Waters Edge Lodge at BIBR and I don't know about the rest of the rooms. But the Waters Edge Lodge has large rooms with plenty of hot water. I stayed at the rooms over the water at CoCoView and they were very nice also. So I'd say the rooms are about even.

#5. Ted and Cam are wonderful people and do so much for the island. They met us at the airport and made the arriving and getting to the resort smooth and easy. When we left, they walk us all the way through customs and pretty much got us to the head of the line. They must have a little pull on the island.

That's about all I can add but Papa Bear is right on when he says to go there. You will not be disappointed with that choice. We've even had people in our group who stayed at Anthony's Key say they liked BIBR better.

Hope this helped!

BDSC

I just read that review and I find it impossible to believe. We could get drinks (cokes)at anytime during they day as long as the bar isn't closed up and locked and it stayed open pretty much anytime you're up. We could just get a drink from the cooler and write it down on a piece of paper. And come on, does anyone really think that they are not going to serve lunch to their guests because the dive boat comes in a little late? I think the review is posted by a competitor. Anyone can go on that site as whomever and post something.

BDSC

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom