Bauer Troubleshooting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ryjeffries

Reaction score
I have a Eagle Compressor based on an '86 Bauer Capitano block. It came loaded from a fire house with auto drain, high pressure shut-off, and low oil pressure shut-down. Use is ~450hrs, with the last 120 from me. I run the compressor 1-3hrs at a time mostly to CB 32%. At the end of a run last Saturday morning the over-pressure valve between the 2nd and 3rd stage began venting. Oil pressure is normal, no bubbles in the sight glass, condensate dump working, no other noises. It was running fine over 3hrs then suddenly the OPV started venting around 850psi. I'm guessing this indicates a problem with the intake side of the 3rd stage. I thought I'd get some ideas from the compressor gurus, and leave everything together for diagnosis, before taking things apart. I'm familiar with automotive trouble trees, so something similiar would be greatly apreciated, however any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Normally I would agree that it is a valve(s) in the third stage. However, there are two other causes that could duplicate the symptoms. If you are equipped with an auto drain, some designs use check valves to keep higher stages from leaking back into the lower stages. If yours is set up like this, it is possible the problem is a check valve. The other situation is where the final stage piston has frozen at the top of the sleeve. Since it is a free-floating piston, the guide piston and conn-rod would not be affected. Second stage pressure would build to the set point of the safety and start lifting it. First thing I would look at is the final stage valves, once you rule out the drain system.

Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom