Bauer Oceanus Rebuild Overheating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iointerrupt

Contributor
Reaction score
So I've been rebuilding a Bauer Oceanus that lived a hard life on a sailboat. It actually appears to be made from the parts of one very abused compressor and one barely used compressor.

Nevertheless, after replacing all the valves, and all the o-rings, I'm having a problem with the 2nd stage overheating.

When run, the pressure on the 2nd stage comes up to about 400psi, and then stops climbing. The 1st stage sits at around 130psi, and the 3rd stage appears normal (slowly climbing). The temperature on the 2nd stage slowly climbs, reaching 200+ F fairly quickly.

I've tried plugging the output of the 2nd stage (after the safety release valve), and the 2nd stage will happily pump up to 1000+ psi then. So this leads me to think that the 2nd stage itself is fine.

This would then point to the problem being the 3rd stage intake valve. I've visually inspected the 3rd stage valves multiple times, and I can find no fault with them. Being brand new, I'd hate to buy another set and see it make no difference.

The 3rd stage itself also seems fine, as it will pump up to 3000+ psi given enough time.

So I'm rather stumped on ideas of what to do next. Any theories or things that can be further tested?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom