Question Bauer Capitano II 480V 3 Phase to 240V Single Phase Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Cio used rebreather sensors. When they don't work well in the breather anymore they are usually still quite good for nitrox levels and get relegated to the analyzer and/or the sticks.

On the 5hp motor, it's usually just that the inrush current is sustained for a bit longer than the breaker is designed to handle since compressors take a bit to get up to speed and if there is any voltage drop in the wires because of the inrush load that is when they will cause the trip from what I've seen. In industry you'll often see the circuit breakers "upsized" by up to 100% in order to deal with hard starts and code does actually allow for it in the smaller amp draws which is a little mind boggling.

@Cio used rebreather sensors. When they don't work well in the breather anymore they are usually still quite good for nitrox levels and get relegated to the analyzer and/or the sticks.

On the 5hp motor, it's usually just that the inrush current is sustained for a bit longer than the breaker is designed to handle since compressors take a bit to get up to speed and if there is any voltage drop in the wires because of the inrush load that is when they will cause the trip from what I've seen. In industry you'll often see the circuit breakers "upsized" by up to 100% in order to deal with hard starts and code does actually allow for it in the smaller amp draws which is a little mind boggling.
The breaker is there to protect from short circuits. The motor overload protection is there to protect both the motor and the conductors.

The breaker is there to protect from short circuits. The motor overload protection is there to protect both the motor and the conductors.
correct, but the breaker can get "confused" with the inrush current, especially if there is voltage sag involved. The soft start is definitely a band aid for that solution but when you are at rental properties trying to use a portable compressor then rewiring the property isn't exactly a viable solution.

correct, but the breaker can get "confused" with the inrush current, especially if there is voltage sag involved. The soft start is definitely a band aid for that solution but when you are at rental properties trying to use a portable compressor then rewiring the property isn't exactly a viable solution.
My one and only experience installing a soft start on a scuba compressor was kind of interesting. 30hp motor, and I don't remember the breaker size, maybe a 50 at 460, but too close for comfort. I found I had to speed up the start because otherwise the breaker would blow before it came to speed. The compressor was starting to build pressure and without enough torque it just couldn't get it going in time. I ended up giving it 3/4 of a second of full power at start, then ramping up quite a bit faster than I thought would be right. It was close enough that the initial "cold" start after hours of sitting would not start it. The second start would. So I had to speed things up a little more to get it to start first time after sitting. In this case "cold" was 80-85 degrees. I suspect it would have started easier across the line.

We use soft starts here because the utility requires them over a certain hp. Also for avoiding belt slip and mechanical stress and to avoid dimming the lights in the whole plant.

My one and only experience installing a soft start on a scuba compressor was kind of interesting. 30hp motor, and I don't remember the breaker size, maybe a 50 at 460, but too close for comfort. I found I had to speed up the start because otherwise the breaker would blow before it came to speed. The compressor was starting to build pressure and without enough torque it just couldn't get it going in time. I ended up giving it 3/4 of a second of full power at start, then ramping up quite a bit faster than I thought would be right. It was close enough that the initial "cold" start after hours of sitting would not start it. The second start would. So I had to speed things up a little more to get it to start first time after sitting. In this case "cold" was 80-85 degrees. I suspect it would have started easier across the line.

We use soft starts here because the utility requires them over a certain hp. Also for avoiding belt slip and mechanical stress and to avoid dimming the lights in the whole plant.
yeah I've had better experience with vfd's vs. soft starts in situations like that and with the costs coming down so much I've found it better to just use them instead of a soft start. Also typically easier to integrate into the PLC's

I've been installing both since 1987. Soft starts clip the wave so the voltage and current are limited. They still run at 60 hz
Which brands of soft start have you worked with?

yeah I've had better experience with vfd's vs. soft starts in situations like that and with the costs coming down so much I've found it better to just use them instead of a soft start. Also typically easier to integrate into the PLC's
Compressors are using PLCs now?

How brilliant is this the geniuses have been unleashed with the reams of info usually lacking

Well there is no way I can afford one of those PLC things, 20 years old is about where I start

Here's what I have they seem to have the missing controls that some of you are speaking of

No more arseing around

Next the lathe and mill and stuff are around some corner somewhere

Could someone please take a bit of time to inspect what I've bought

I am truly humbled

Well if you get a rocket stuck in your pump that's unmanned,,,,,,,,,,

Boy that would be bad😆😆😆😆😆😆😆

Interesting.
don't know how they are doing it.... I suspect, there are 8 or more contactors, that shuffle capacitors in and out, to keep, the voltage up,

I know I have done that,,, match the phaser to the load,

When you get it why don't you break it open and send pictures and wiring drawing👍

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom