Batik Air Reliability?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ccurnick

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am flying to Raja Ampat starting tomorrow morning, and my flight from Jakarta to Sorong is with Batik Air. I recently checked the flight history of that route, and it is showing that nearly every flight for the past month has been cancelled. Do you think this is accurate or is an error in the reporting of flights?

On my reservation my original flight was "cancelled" and then rebooked with a 5 minute shift in times, so I am thinking it is a reporting error, but I booked a second backup flight on Garuda that will be difficult to make, but at least gives me another option to make it to Sorong on time.

Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 11.22.45 AM.png

Quick answer: They are not reliable.

Long answer: check your flight status frequently, and be prepared to alter your plans (usually just slightly). If you booked a "direct flight", they may short notice change your itinerary through Manado etc. Most likely everything will work out. "All is well that ends well".

Check with the local resorts or something if you can. Batik (and its sisters) will leave flights fully bookable that they never run... like for years. They will not cancel it on you until close to the trip (maybe 3 days prior). Sometimes they will run them once in a very blue moon, or completely randomly. I tried this recently with a trip to Alor - it ran 'most of the time' but was cancelled often as well. I risked it as it would save me a day of travel. 3 days prior they cancelled - so it was a bit of a pain. Shoulda just booked the more reliable option.

I would guess if you have less than 75% reliability on flight history sites you will not be happy.

I am flying to Raja Ampat starting tomorrow morning, and my flight from Jakarta to Sorong is with Batik Air. I recently checked the flight history of that route, and it is showing that nearly every flight for the past month has been cancelled. Do you think this is accurate or is an error in the reporting of flights?

On my reservation my original flight was "cancelled" and then rebooked with a 5 minute shift in times, so I am thinking it is a reporting error, but I booked a second backup flight on Garuda that will be difficult to make, but at least gives me another option to make it to Sorong on time.

View attachment 825765
Let us know how everything turns out for you.

Bah. I'm not sure how Lion Air/Batik remains in business

View attachment 825765
Word to the wise. Do NOT rely on the monitors that show the departure time and gate for the Jakarta-Sorong flight. Your boarding pass with gate and time is the absolute determining document

And don’t get me started about the lack of cold beer in Terminal 3

Word to the wise. Do NOT rely on the monitors that show the departure time and gate for the Jakarta-Sorong flight. Your boarding pass with gate and time is the absolute determining document

And don’t get me started about the lack of cold beer in Terminal 3
Ya but . . .

I've found even my boarding pass to NOT be the determining factor.

Keep your head on a swivel.

I've taken Batik from Phuket to Bali and Bali to Phuket a couple times and all went well. In fact, a very comfortable flight. Don't know about flights to Sorong.

I've had them tell me the flight would be 2hrs late, so then I go to get a snack and 20min later come back and barely make it onto the plane that showed up and quickly boarded. Works great when they work, but the Lion Air consortium cares not about you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom