high cost of domestic air travel in Indonesia.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL.
It has nothing to do with it.
Mega SM MALL is everywhere!
You have not noticed all those development in Manila water front over last few yrs?
Have you been to any places in the country that are still looking out for "threat"?
I was in Southern Thailand recently where the treat is still there but I have not noticed any difference in walking to bus terminal, shopping mall there than Phuket or Bangkok.
All the X ray machines had already been withdrawn from every entrance to NAIA T3 last month. There is no longer any necessary to screen everything from hand bag to huge pack!! Talking about what threat!!!
What you do not know you do not know.

After having done business in PH for more than a decade working with the PH government on modernizing security infrastructure, it's clear you do not know why they still have checkpoints in front of every major hotel in Makati, etc.

Your airport comment is asinine - NAIA still has checkpoints for every vehicle before they can drive up to the terminals.

The current concern is a potential Chinese reaction in funding dissidents as the US is allowed to build/expand 3 based in PH.

This is an area you clearly do not have insight.

After having done business in PH for more than a decade working with the PH government on modernizing security infrastructure, it's clear you do not know why they still have checkpoints in front of every major hotel in Makati, etc.

Your airport comment is asinine - NAIA still has checkpoints for every vehicle before they can drive up to the terminals.

The current concern is a potential Chinese reaction in funding dissidents as the US is allowed to build/expand 3 based in PH.

This is an area you clearly do not have insight.
LOL!
There are armed guards outside some Mac as well.
The check point at the Manila airport is still there but no one is bothered to check the vehicle. Did you not notice on your last visit? You also did not notice the removal of the X ray machine at all the entrances to NAIA T3.
Do you know how many hotels in Manila?
Do you know how many airport the country has?
Insight! You know nothing about Philippines.
Have you ever travelled in Mindanao?

There are many airports in the county that do not have hotel nearby and walking is NOT an option. That is a FACT.

@Centrals

Umm... yes. I've given keynotes at conferences both in Cagayan de Oro and Davao City, while also doing work in General Santos. But please tell me how you have spent time with the few rebels that are left hanging out... that will be funny.

The PH government has paid quite a bit for the services of someone who "know nothing about the Philippines."

BTW- there is a detection plate in the road underneath where you stop at every checkpoint entering NAIA, the security folks get a beep in their earpieces if something is detected. The plates were put in place so that "no one is bothered to check the vehicle..."

Same technology used to scan cars as they enter public parking lots in Singapore.

How do I know they are there? Our company put them there...

Daft.

"Aston franchise in Indonesia..." - umm... that was my point.
Apart from walking to the airport, I don't think anybody in this thread understand your points.

You noted that Sorong is a regional hub, likewise Kupang or Ambon. Lots of tourists getting there including 'muricans spending one night before thair LoB but ALSO business visitors in need of one or two nights. Aston is catering to that kind of market (why do you think for instance Astons usually have conference centers or business facilities).

We're not talking about Moni/Flores nor Sengkang/Sulawesi. No Aston there I can guarantee, the bar is much lower than Sorong.

When traveling in West Papua I don't expect much (cleanliness and some level of competency is about it).
Well, I could say what you're saying is totally contradictory as well since "every hotel is up to the manager" and doesn't owe to the location nor on the franchise (Cetacean theorem #1). That's pretzel logics since you're now putting forward geographical generalities.
On my side I will point the contrary, 10 years ago in Sorong and while there was maybe 3 times less hotels than now (No Belhotel at the time) I didn't think Royal Mamberamo for instance was dirty, their restaurant was surprizingly delicious, and they could provide for information or taxi whenever we asked for. Something I can't say for the Astons I mentioned for instance where their staff lacks any concern whatsoever pertaining to assisting a customer.

The comparison was meant to be absurd (by design) because you clearly have misaligned expectations for hotels in more remote locations in Indonesia.
Comparisons are not similarities. I don't see any reason why MY comparison with other Astons would be in parallel absurd "by design" (sic, Cetacean theorem #2), especially when you base your hypothesis on false prejudices that you stick to the pêrson you're talking too.
That is degree zero of debating otherwise, you'll need to elaborate a little more if you'd like to give some meaning to what you're writing. I'd suggest you trade a little more reasoning and finesse against your tendancy to rely on abrupt statements about your interlocutor (or that you change your glasses when you're reading me, because what you state as "clearly" looks like a virtual image only in your mind).

I don't expect Aman-like service in Sorong...
Sorry for highlighting that, but this is as stupid as useless as a remark.
There are all kinds of hotels from 5USD dormitory crapholes to 1500USD/night overpriced resorts.
I've slept on the shelves off a pigbarn in a village of my home country Vanuatu and been fetched at the airport with one of the RR of the Peninsula fleet in HKG. Though I don't think these are the only alternatives especially for a city home to 250.000 people which is both a tourism and a business hub and where hotels are in between a 20-100 USD range.

@Centrals

Umm... yes. I've given keynotes at conferences both in Cagayan de Oro and Davao City, while also doing work in General Santos. But please tell me how you have spent time with the few rebels that are left hanging out... that will be funny.

The PH government has paid quite a bit for the services of someone who "know nothing about the Philippines."

BTW- there is a detection plate in the road underneath where you stop at every checkpoint entering NAIA, the security folks get a beep in their earpieces if something is detected. The plates were put in place so that "no one is bothered to check the vehicle..."

Same technology used to scan cars as they enter public parking lots in Singapore.

How do I know they are there? Our company put them there...

Daft.
You did not go to South Cotobato or too scare to go there.
Did you use the old or the new terminal in Davao? LOL.
It was just for NAIA only!!!!! There are many many airports in the country. Clark, Coron, El Nido and the rest would never been attacked by whoever. Daveo will be safe again, at least the new terminal. The city was bombed again 2016 resulting at 14 death and 70 injuiries.

Only a few rebels hanging out in Mindanao!!! Pinoys Gov has absolutely no control in some areas down south. You had forgotten the attack on Marawi or never heard of it. The country has spent a fortune on "rebel" but getting nowhere.

Daft would be a compliment for you.

I stayed there in Dec based on your reco and liked it, Dan - rooms were nice, food decent and it’s a very convenient location to stay for a few days before a LOB leaving out of Sorong.

I am glad to hear that. I stayed there a couple of times before. The last time I was there was on 3 December 2022 for a 4-12 December 2022 trip to RA on Mermaid 2. They have pretty good WiFi too. I had a video conference call the next morning with several people in USA and it when smoothly. I thought it’s pretty good for $60/night, but I’m not a professional in tourism industry, like @Luko. I am curious what his opinion is about the hotel.

You did not go to South Cotobato or too scare to go there.
Did you use the old or the new terminal in Davao? LOL.
It was just for NAIA only!!!!! There are many many airports in the country. Clark, Coron, El Nido and the rest would never been attacked by whoever. Daveo will be safe again, at least the new terminal. The city was bombed again 2016 resulting at 14 death and 70 injuiries.

Only a few rebels hanging out in Mindanao!!! Pinoys Gov has absolutely no control in some areas down south. You had forgotten the attack on Marawi or never heard of it. The country has spent a fortune on "rebel" but getting nowhere.

Daft would be a compliment for you.

You are clearly clueless...

First you say that no one is looking, then you say "just for NAIA."

New detection systems are scheduled for 4 additional airport in Ph, to be installed in the next 2 years. After that, still TBD.

You are struggling...

@Luko

My first visit to Sorong was ~25 years ago (as an aside, my first dive in Vanuatu was over 30 years ago). I've seen the city grow from a corrupt outpost run (mostly) by mining concerns to what it is today.

You claimed you received horrible service in Ambon so you hold it against the hotel in Sorong. If you don't see the logical fallacy in that thinking no one can help you.

Unlike you, I stayed at both the Swiss-Belhotel and Aston in Sorong within the last 5 weeks. There is a difference - you can choose to stay wherever you would like... ignorance is bliss.

(as an aside, my first dive in Vanuatu was over 30 years ago).
Good for you, so many tourists pass thru Vanuatu.
Ating you talem naoia you save toktok ol languej. Kiaman masta.

You claimed you received horrible service in Ambon so you hold it against the hotel in Sorong. If you don't see the logical fallacy in that thinking no one can help you.
Well rhetorics and concepts don't seem your forte very much. Or maybe that's just your reading.
YOU (yes you can look at yourself) started debating about what is a hotel franchise in a very patronizing way.
I'm telling you my thoughts about Aston as a brand/franchise : are you able to elevate your ideas to a simple concept or is your self-inflated yourself just stuck on the number of meters you need to walk to Sorong airport.

ignorance is bliss.
Sure.
You're speaking tourism concepts to a tourism industry professional, mate. In french we would say you probably invented the wire used for slicing butter.
So far you've been throwing names at everyone : your arrogance is simply ridiculous, especially coming from someone who's been lacking any logics in this debate, using false statements from the start.

Back
Top Bottom