high cost of domestic air travel in Indonesia.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Centrals

"Location is absolutely irrevalent otherwise there will be far more airport hotels than now."

Umm... there aren't "far more" airport hotels in existence? Basically any significant transit aiport has at least one if not several hotels on close proximity (by design).

Sorong city is not much of a "destination" - for toursim it's a place to connect through or transfer to LOBs, eco tourism trips, dive resorts, etc.). Many people only stay in Sorong to either catch another flight, a boat, etc.

You might want to rethink your comment...

@chillyinCanada

Well, if (like @Luko) your car transfer doesn't show up you have options...

I've had this happen in Honiara and Pohnpei. If I have an early AM flight out of somewhere, I'd rather be closer (than farther away) because that likely equates to a few more minutes sleep. The ~2.4km distance between the Swiss-Belhotel and the airport is not a big deal, unless the bridge gets damaged again like it did a few years ago.

I had a great time in Amanwana, but you expect that for $1,650/night stay.

We enjoyed both times we've been to Amanwana. The sea wall is an excellent night dive.... Just dove Angel Reef again as part of a Komodo itinerary that originated in Bali.

We also really like Amankila as a place to spend a couple of days to off gas as well.

.... Just dove Angel Reef again as part of a Komodo itinerary that originated in Bali.

Did you see Whalesharks of Saleh Bay in Sumbawa on the way back to Bali from Komodo?

@Centrals "Location is absolutely irrevalent otherwise there will be far more airport hotels than now." Umm... there aren't "far more" airport hotels in existence? Basically any significant transit aiport has at least one if not several hotels on close proximity (by design). Sorong city is not much of a "destination" - for toursim it's a place to connect through or transfer to LOBs, eco tourism trips, dive resorts, etc.). Many people only stay in Sorong to either catch another flight, a boat, etc. You might want to rethink your comment...
1. I have no intention to change my routine.
2. Have you been to any airport that has nothing to stay? Stay away from eg. Clark, Coron and El Nido in Philippines(just to name three as there are plenty in that country). BTW, you will be stopped about a km from Clark's airport by the security so walking is NOT an option either. Clark is an International Airport unlike Sorong, there is direct flight to HK.

Did you see Whalesharks of Saleh Bay in Sumbawa on the way back to Bali from Komodo?

Didn't stop this time... we've visited Saleh before (on the Adelaar). It's a better experience that Oslob, that's for sure, but still not as good as Cenderawasih about ~10 years ago). Going to try Triton Bay next year...

1. I have no intention to change my routine.
2. Have you been to any airport that has nothing to stay? Stay away from eg. Clark, Coron and El Nido in Philippines(just to name three as there are plenty in that country). BTW, you will be stopped about a km from Clark's airport by the security so walking is NOT an option either. Clark is an International Airport unlike Sorong, there is direct flight to HK.

Yes, that's because the PH still believes they need to look out for bombing threats to hotels, infrastructure, shopping malls, etc.

Yes, that's because the PH still believes they need to look out for bombing threats to hotels, infrastructure, shopping malls, etc.
LOL.
It has nothing to do with it.
Mega SM MALL is everywhere!
You have not noticed all those development in Manila water front over last few yrs?
Have you been to any places in the country that are still looking out for "threat"?
I was in Southern Thailand recently where the treat is still there but I have not noticed any difference in walking to bus terminal, shopping mall there than Phuket or Bangkok.
All the X ray machines had already been withdrawn from every entrance to NAIA T3 last month. There is no longer any necessary to screen everything from hand bag to huge pack!! Talking about what threat!!!
What you do not know you do not know.

Back
Top Bottom