Batangas to Puerto Galera banca sinks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
The outrigger boat, with a passenger seating capacity of 60, was pummelled by strong waves and wind, ripping its wooden rig and sinking it before noon near Balahibong Puti Point off Batangas. Twelve people died while more than 50 passengers were rescued.

ARTICLE HERE

The outrigger boat, with a passenger seating capacity of 60, was pummelled by strong waves and wind, ripping its wooden rig and sinking it before noon near Balahibong Puti Point off Batangas. Twelve people died while more than 50 passengers were rescued.

ARTICLE HERE

Oh No..

I was there in March of 07, I thought about what could happen with no radio and no way to get help.

I am so sorry to hear of this, And even more sorry to hear of the loss of life!

ARTICLE HERE

I heard that the banca was over loaded. :shakehead:

What a crappy way to end one's summer. Very sad news and sobering considering I've taken the White Beach bangka multiple times.

Horrific news. I am sure many of us have taken a outrigger on that route many times - really hits home. My thoughts go out to everyone involved.

I heard that the banca was over loaded. :shakehead:

should be for 42 but there were more than 60 ppl on the boat.

Twelve dead in Philippines ferry accident
AFP - Sunday, May 24MANILA (AFP) Twelve people, including a Japanese national, were killed and 57 rescued after a ferry sank in waters south of the Philippine capital on Saturday, the coast guard said.
The boat, the MV Commander 6, was carrying people from Batangas to a resort beach on the island of Mindoro when it was hit by large waves which cracked its hull, causing the vessel to sink, the coast guard report said.
Among the dead was a Japanese identified by survivors as Shoji Hosotani, said local police Chief Superintendent Luisito Palmera. However he said he could give no further details on the deceased.
Coast guard rescue vessels and private boats rushed to the scene to rescue people after the boat sank. There were no immediate reports on whether any of the people on board were still missing.
The boat had only 42 people on its manifest, indicating that many people had boarded without being listed, coast guard officials said.
Small, poorly-maintained ferries are the backbone of inter-island travel in this archipelagic country and many ferry owners resort to overloading their vessels, leading to frequent maritime mishaps.

Sad stories like this probably keep a number of divers from the U.S. away. Hmmm... that may be a very good thing (just teasing fellow citizens).

Back
Top Bottom