Basic reg questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got the B2. And picked up an SS1 as well.

I had actually decided on the Z2 and was going to get the swivel as well. That would have put the Z2 at about $500 retail. I went to the LDS who didn't have a Z2 but offered the B2 for $599 + SS1 deal. It seems that one can purchase the reg for less but this was the best deal I could find in my area and I'm pleased.

I'll let you know how it breathes when I get back from Hawaii.

Thanks again for everyone’s help.

Simon

You stated that you wanted an “environmentally sealed” first stage, a quick thought. With a piston style first stage, one that is sealed is typically an unbalanced regulator meaning that your regulator will lose performance the deeper you go and the lower you tank pressure is. This is a compromise that you will have to consider, if you are staying above 100 fsw It probably will not be an issue, sealed first stages are typically more rugged and are less finicky, a trade off for performance.

Unless you are diving in really bad conditions like ones you would be getting paid to do, or you are diving in really cold water, like frozen lakes having an environmentally sealed first stage is not an issue.

As far as having your regulator feeling like its getting pulled out of your mouth you can try a longer hose or for a cheap trick, just take off the hose protector that is on your second stage (if you have one). Another technique is to try and mount your low pressure hose in a different port.

JUMBO

The B2 is a balanced first stage. The environmental seal kit consists of a cover and a grease of some type.

I'm very happy with my M1 and Z1.

Terry

jumbo:
You stated that you wanted an “environmentally sealed” first stage, a quick thought. With a piston style first stage, one that is sealed is typically an unbalanced regulator meaning that your regulator will lose performance the deeper you go and the lower you tank pressure is. This is a compromise that you will have to consider, if you are staying above 100 fsw It probably will not be an issue, sealed first stages are typically more rugged and are less finicky, a trade off for performance.

Unless you are diving in really bad conditions like ones you would be getting paid to do, or you are diving in really cold water, like frozen lakes having an environmentally sealed first stage is not an issue.

As far as having your regulator feeling like its getting pulled out of your mouth you can try a longer hose or for a cheap trick, just take off the hose protector that is on your second stage (if you have one). Another technique is to try and mount your low pressure hose in a different port.

JUMBO

jumbo:
You stated that you wanted an “environmentally sealed” first stage, a quick thought. With a piston style first stage, one that is sealed is typically an unbalanced regulator ....
JUMBO

Not true.

jumbo:
the majority of sealed first stages are unbalanced, piston, not diaphram

Still not true, Jumbo. Look at all the leading pistons. Most, if not all, either come sealed or have an optional seal kit. The great majority are balanced. SP, Atomic, Sherwood...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom