Basic reg questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scottri:
I don't think you could go wrong with any of the regs you have chosen.
Ain't that the truth! :D (Even for a guy who wears pink pajamas.)

Those are PJ's those are custom made undergarmets for the demanding conditions of the PNW! The guys at the shop had them made as a joke but the joke is on them, I wear 'em all the time!

Penopolypants:
Oh, and I wish my dad would buy me a nice reg. You're very lucky!

My dad did! In 1970 he spent $55 for a Swimaster Polaris II. It was a present for my 18th birthday.

I dive a Aqua Lung Legend and a Zeagle 50D (has a swivel 1st stage) Like them both but seem to gravitate to the Legend as my favorite primary. Dont hear alot about the Legend in regulator discussions which I cant explain. For what its worth I did have to have a complete rebuild after about 200 dives on the Legend. High pressure seat was gone. Otherwise regular inspection and maintinence was all that was needed. My vote is for the Legend! Enjoy

I have an Aqualung Titan LX and do not experience any jaw fatigue whatsoever. It's a great reg and would highly recommend it to anyone. Just my 2 cents.

dl348:
I have an Aqualung Titan LX and do not experience any jaw fatigue whatsoever. It's a great reg and would highly recommend it to anyone. Just my 2 cents.

Just as another view, my instructor has been trying to convince me to replace my Conshelf SE3s with Titan LXs. He uses them himself for warm water diving.

slydoh:
Hi all,

I know the best reg discussion has been done again and again but I have some basic reg questions.

It's my birthday this weekend and my father would like to buy me a new reg. We like to treat each other so $500 is a good price range.

So, to the questions.

Environmentally sealed..? This seems like a good idea to me. Wear and contaminants are probably the main causes of reg failure, so preventing contaminants from entering the first stage seems good. Right? I'm not a cold water diver so according to what I've read I don't need an environmentally sealed reg. But…

Brand specific questions.

Noisy..? The scubapro whistle? I though scubapro would be a good choice since they can be serviced/repaired at more locations than many other regs. But diving is noisy enough so I don’t want a noisy reg. Can any comment on the scubapro noise level and may a general idea of how noisy your regs are?

Comfort. My jaw gets tired after my first dive. A lot of it is that my reg is always being pulled away from my mouth (I like to look around). I’d like to get a swivel option for the second stage.

Bubble dispersion is another comfort issue. Some of the small regs would seem to bubble right in your face. I’ve had a few rental regs that caused my mask to leak because they didn’t properly disperse the bubbles. I know the atomics have a special exhaust tree but what about others?

Breathing wet. Due to my preference for boat dives I often end up in a group. Many times to see the cool subject of the dive masters attention I have to assume odd positions like head down. So I’d like a “dry” reg.

Weight of the second stage would be the last issue.

I’ve mainly been looking at the following regs. Any comments on these based on the above questions would be appreciated.

Oceanic Delta 4 FDX 10
Atomics B2 or Z2
Scubapro MK25/S600 or X6**
Aqualung Legend LX
Zeagle flathead

I’m a fairly new diver with 23 dives so I don’t think the subtle breathing differences in the various models would be noticeable to me. And I think they are all so good that performance shouldn’t be an issue for me. So I’m basing my decision on the above questions/criteria.

I’ve been diving a Dacor Viper. I’ve found it to be a perfectly OK reg. I don’t think it’s the easiest breathing reg but I’ve never had a problem even at 80+ feet. And the side exhaust is wonderful.

Thanks in advance,

Simon
I say go with the B2 hands down. I have used several others. I have owned US Diver, Dacor, and now The Atomic B2. It is by far the best I have ever used. Very lightweight and breathes super easy. I also didn't like the jaw fatigue from fighting the hose. The B2 with the new comfort swivel eliminates the problem. I have been at 100 feet plus and forgot it was there.This reg lists for around $695. I looked everywhere and found it for $488 plus tax at SubTropic Scuba in Key West, Florida. I have never been happier with a scuba purchase. They are an authorized dealer. Good luck and Happy Birthday, what a dad!

Thank you all.

I'll let you know which one I get and how it works out.

Simon

Back
Top Bottom