Balmorhea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know, I find that whole area of the state very hypnotic and yet effervecent.
It's a land of contrast in so many ways. From there to The Davis Mountains, then a little South to the Big Bend and back again through the Desert. I often chart much my life by the thoughts and memories of times I've been there. It always has something to give.

Going through my logs. Dive World, San Antonio, did Balmorhea this year in January 21-22 and March 11-12. Outside temps were low 50s with dives starting in late morning. Tents with heaters were brought for the SIs. There is a motel on site, camping and air nearby. Would be interested in any '07 1st or 3rd weekend dates to complement custody intervals with my diving kiddo.

Watch out for those pupfish - their bite may be small, but they swarm like killer bees. Saw the short work they made of a tortilla that fell in a canal.:11:

Hemlon:
When is the best time to dive/camp at Balmorhea?

The tentative date is Feb 9-11, 2007. I hope you'll be able to join us!

It's on my calendar to be there, and I promise to behave. No Deco diving all the way... :D

joetex0777:
There were 2 shacks ....I mean "shops" next to the park, but both were closed.
I just called the dive shop and they are open weekends, closed weekdays. I don't know why you didn't find them open that weekend, but they fully expect to be there for fills this weekend. They are a little pricey, but what would one expect for their location...
1-Tanks fills: $10 - how long does a tank last at 10-20 depth?
2-Tank rentals: $15 day, initial fill included.

It could well be cold there, we'll need to evaluate the weather forecast that week, and an alternate date selection could be a good idea, but it's usually nice. No crowds in Feb.

:)

Hemlon:
Thanks for calling, Don!

:)
Oh sure thing. I guess almost everyone has cellphones with free long distance, so others probly had called, but I didn't see it posted. The park ranger answering the phone today said they have not planned a date to drain and clean, but it's usually in April or May when warmer - as they work with power washers, etc.

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom