Ballard shooting a movie in Poland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mempilot:
I'd love to dive over there, and I may be getting the chance.
You arent the only one :wink:

mempilot:
There is a chance of me living in the UK for up to a year, so if that happens, I'll be bringing my gear.
No you dont want to do that, there are reasons why some of us leave the British Isles.... :wink:

mempilot - so we have a deal. Let me know once you are on this side of the ocean. Simon you are as much welcomed - so guys - a trip over to Poland for some really good wreck diving? But I must warn you - these are difficult dives, cold, rather dark and fishermen nets without buoys all over....
But the wrecks are worth every penny.
Mania
PS. BTW my great grandmother was American with German origin, so mempilot - you are not the only one :D

Mania,

It's a deal! I'll know sometime this spring.

I read that article as well. What struck me about it was the respect that the divers showed by not even attempting penetration because they didn't want to run into the bodies. I definitely respect that and wished that everyone did. That "Black Market" in artifacts tells me that not everyone remembers that these were several desparate human lives and stories involved. That is more tragic to me than the looting of the wreck and I don't care who does it. At least Bob Ballard is of that opinion as well. We keep wreck locations in the Great Lakes secret as long as possible for the same reason. In spite of our laws against the taking of artifacts off of freshwater (keep in mind cold, freshwater preservation) wrecks, some person will still try it.

Anything to do with war is tragic. Hopefully, we are never in a position where anyone feels that the sinking of refugee ships (or need for refugee ships, as a matter of fact) is necessary again. I don't have the money or resources to get over there, so I settle for the articles that I read.

BTW, as I recall the worst marine tradegy that comes to mind in the US/Canada maritime history would be the Empress of Ireland. More people died on that wreck than on the Titanic. If not for the start of World War One, that would have been big news far longer than the Titanic.

mania:
mempilot - so we have a deal. Let me know once you are on this side of the ocean. Simon you are as much welcomed - so guys - a trip over to Poland for some really good wreck diving? But I must warn you - these are difficult dives, cold, rather dark and fishermen nets without buoys all over....
But the wrecks are worth every penny.
Mania
PS. BTW my great grandmother was American with German origin, so mempilot - you are not the only one :D

Mom's maiden name was Camehl. Her father came over from Germany in the early 1900's with his family. Yes, there is a great deal of German in my origin's as well.

Funny, because we did about 120 dives over a 2 week period on the Steuben and Goya some weeks ago (8 divers)....The deepest you can get on both the Goya and Steuben is 67-68 meters....If you want to go deeper, you have to bring a shovel........

Well
That's a bit strange because Goya is at the depth of 90 meters. And diving on Goya is forbidden. So when on Goya did you have a permission?
Mania

90 meters ??? What a joke ! About permissions....We dont need any permission from anybody to dive a wreck that lies on international water....Even if it is polish economical zone, like it is in the case Goya and steuben......

According to the law - yes you do need the permission.
Not to mention the fact that it was also a request of German Government not to dive there - there are 7 thousand of bodies there.
And yes - maybe we are talking about different Goya (although there is only one). It's general depth is 75 meters, while some parts of the ship are as deep as 90 meters, and offically was discovered 2 years ago by Polish divers.
http://www.balticwrecks.com/en/wrecks/goya.html
Mania

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom