diving sites in Poland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mania

Cousin Itt
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
First of all you have to look at the map of Poland.
#1. Baltic Sea.
On Polish teritorial and ecnomical waters are the biggest marine tragedies ever happen - Steuben, Goya, Gustloff. So to make the long story short wreck, wreck and once more wrecks.
The list of them can be found here:
http://www.balticwrecks.com/en/alfab.html

#2. Mazurian Lakes.
This area is called "Land of thousand lakes". But in fact there is more than thousand. I think it's one of the most beautfiful places in the world. Lakes are the result of glacier and some of the forests are hundreds years old. The whole area is in fact forest and lakes. In some of them quite a lot of fishes and crabfish. Beautiful uw meadows - sometimes they look a bit like LA kelp (judging from photos of kelp).

#3. Lakes and again Baltic Sea with the wreck of Hevelius - Polish ferry that sank with casualties 10 or 15 yeras ago.

#4. Lakes in what we call "Kaschubian Switzerland" because it remind Switzerland.

#5. Lakes - don't know this area very well (from diving point of view)

#6. Quarries - quite a few of them

#7. Quarries and caves

#8. The deepest lake in Poland (more than 100 meters). This is where Georgitis did Fundies courses.

#9. Quarries and lakes

#10. Caves and quarries.

Conditions.
Polish waters are rather cold. During the summer lakes above thermocline have something around 18 - 20 Centigrades but below thermocline (usually it's 6- 7 meters) temperature drops to 3-4 Centigrades. Visibility depends on water - if the lake is more poluted it's worse. Sometimes it's only 1 - 1.5 meters and dark. During the winter all lakes are coverd with ice and these are perfect conditions for ice diving.

Quarries are better - warmer and with better vis.

Baltic Sea - depends. Sometimes the vis is around 20 meters sometimes it's 4 meters or less. Sea is cold and there are currents. What is most dangerous are fishermen nets which are almost everywhere.

So as you can see we have plenty of places to dive. My major problem is that there is nothing really around Warsaw - the nearest are Mazurian Lakes and it's around 200 kilometers away.

Mania

Are there any divecenters/filling stations in the lake district?
The sound promessing:14:

There are plenty of diving centres - both the lake areas and Baltic Sea. Also some quarries. Although if your tanks are O2 clean then you need to have filters.
El Orans if you are able to stay for an hour in the water of temp 4 centigrades in the wet suit - you are more than welcome. I freeze this is why finally got a dry suit
:D
Mania

Mania, the map you attached puts everything in perspective. If you draw a circle with a 250 km radius around Warsaw (where you and I both live), all the Polish dive sites are outside of that.

Two hundred and fifty K's, the West European divers ask? That ain't nothin' on the Autobahn or Autoroute or Motorway!

Even the Americans would say that 150 miles isn't that much on the Interstate, even at 55 to 70 mph.

But here in Poland?? :D

--Marek

C'mon Marek
I have told you many times - it's 2,5 hours drive to Olsztyn - the centre of Mazurian Lakes area. And there - plenty of lakes around to dive in.
Mania

The only place I have been in Poland so far is the Quarry Grodek near Auschwitz. Nice location. 10 meter vis. Would like to get up to dive the Baltic, maybe this summer :)

Thanks for posting this Mania,

mania:
This is why most weekends I go to Olsztyn and Mazury. And suprisingly I'm still alive.
Mania

Mania, how far are these from the Czech Border? Or from Ostrava?

thanks,
JEff

All southern Poland (# 6, 7 and 10 on the map) is very close to both Czech and Slovak boarder - as these are our southern neighbours.
# 7 is something like an hour drive from Prague.

The northern part, including Mazurian lakes is rather far away - more than 1000 km.
Mania

Do you have a list of sites in these three regions? Is there a "locality" page on a polish server somewhere?

Back
Top Bottom