Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jnylaw

Reaction score
I am going to Bali this x'mas (my first time). Any sugguestion on
where to dive (for beginner)? Thanks!

- Jackie

Hi Jackie...

Bali has some great dive sites, but I would recommend that you definitely go to Pulau Menjangan on the north coast of Bali and Padangbai (Blue Lagoon) on the east coast. Check out
Nicola's website
- she is a ScubaBoard member who lives in Bali and works in dive travel...

Hope this helps!

Hi, I did some diving in Bali in January. Can recommend. Nusa Pernida off south coast for some good drift diving also the wreck which is a shore entry of Tulamben. I dived with Tania Dive Cente out of Denpassar, I got the impression that you signed up with a DM and he fixes the other requirements - everyone sort of helps each other out, one guy has a boat, another provided rental equipment, another had a car to pick me up from my hotel etc. I did my o/w there. I was trainig solo and my DM organised a rescue diver to be my buddy and I was the only student those four days - You could wonder if this school was unpopular so had few clients but I found Wayan Sweta my instructor to be very thorough. Yes I did read the manual, yes I did watch all the video, fill in the knowledge reviews and complete pool training before being allowed to 12m only in open water.

Don't forget to haggle, I am almost embarassed by the amount of money I paid for such good service and a life changing experience.

As with most Asian holiday destinations I've been to the local people make the holiday, please take the time to make some friends. If you get the chance pop in to Krishna Bar in Sanur say hi to Madi and Suzanne from Neil, Keely and Giles.

For a terrific night head to Ubud for the Ramayana Ballet performaces of the Legong at the weekends - truely spectacular.

Have a great trip

Thanks for the reply.

What about Tulamben and Padangbia? Are these good for
beginners? I'd like to dive in calm water with lots of fishes,
sharks, etc.

Jackie...

I can only speak from snorkelling experience... Padangbai (Blue Lagoon) seems like it would be good for a beginner as it is not too deep and it is quite sheltered so not too much current.

I have never dived Tulamben, but have many friends who do and while the wreck is supposed to be great, I have heard a couple of stories of experienced divers being swept out to sea unexpectedly by currents...

Perhaps Neil would care to comment on this?

Good luck!

Hi Jackie

I dived Tulamben as a novice and had no problem. However, I did not here any scare stories because I wasn't asking. Now I'm a little more experienced I would know to ask the right questions of the DO. I can't tell you if there is a possiblity of un-expected currents, so please take Alison's advice concerning this dive.

Nusa Pernida is also a drift dive, as I mentioned I was accompanied on my own by an Instructor and a Rescue Diver so felt very safe but this dive does have current, from my later experience I estimate at 2/3 knots, so this might not be for you either.

Regards

Neil

On further thought, Pulau Menjangan should be a very nice dive for a beginner - I have been there many times (pre-diving years!) and there did not appear to be much current down below. I've just found this website which would appear to support my observations...

:jester:

I have talked to one of the dive centers and they recommend
Tulamben and Amed. The first day is Tulamben: 2 day dives,
1 night dive. The second day is Amed. Overnight at Paradise
Beach Bungalows. Any experience there?

Thanks!
Jackie

Originally posted by jnylaw
:jester:

I have talked to one of the dive centers and they recommend
Tulamben and Amed. The first day is Tulamben: 2 day dives,
1 night dive. The second day is Amed. Overnight at Paradise
Beach Bungalows. Any experience there?

Thanks!
Jackie

Jackie - Amed is very nice for snorkelling - beautiful coral gardens, so I would say that diving must be nice too - again, never dived there but I would think it's quite shallow. Sounds good!

Back
Top Bottom