Info Diving in Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kuta is a bit party central. For diving the three main places are Padangbai, Nusa Lembongan (island close'ish to PB) or Amed/Tulamben*. Other stuff is the like the temples/water gardens near Amed or dual resort with Ubud etc for the others.

An alternative is the Gili islands - reasonable diving plus Gili T parties, Gili Air chilled etc.

Or its a long way from you so do Amed/Tulanben (old Bali + temples +good diving coral/macro), Pangbai (manta's, sharks maybe Mola depending when) and boat to Gili's (parties plus turtles/sharks etc)

*other sites are available!

To put it very simple: no there’s no good diving near Kuta.
You may be able to find a dive op that will pick you up and drive you to somewhere you can dive - it’ll be a very long time driving as traveling pace in Bali is very, very slow.
We stayed in Kuta for 3 days last time we visited (2022) and while the hotel and pools were lovely the place itself was way too busy and did not feel like Bali at all. Still: if you’re only going for 1 day of diving and want to spend the rest of your days just relaxing by the pool Kuta could be ok.

If you want to be (a bit) closer to dive sites maybe look at Sanur - still a lot of resorts, but a tad more laid back. From Sanur it’s a bit easier to do day trips as well, as you avoid some of the traffic gridlock in the south, but beach is not as good (still nice).
I loved Padang Bai, but it’s very quiet and maybe not great if diving is not the main thing you want to do (though we did do some amazing day trips from PB). Same for Amed/Tulemben.

I am looking to go to Bali this summer in July. I will be staying at Sheraton Bali Kuta Resort. Is there good diving near this location?
How do you feel about being surrounded my Aussies on a cheap drunk/holiday?

I love Bali, but you don't want to be anywhere near Kuta

Personally I'm not a big fan of Bali (even though I'm a drunk Aussie). If you're in Kuta for a holiday and want to get some diving in, you can head to Tulamben for a day trip (it's a 3hr drive) and dive the USS Liberty.

As others have already mentioned, there are many excellent dive destinations in Indonesia. Bali is not one of them.

I've just booked a liveaboard for next year. I fly in an out of Denpasar but made sure to schedule my flights so I fly in 3 hrs before boarding, and fly out the afternoon of disembarking. Don't need to stay in Bali itself any longer than absolutely required :wink:

Personally I'm not a big fan of Bali (even though I'm a drunk Aussie). If you're in Kuta for a holiday and want to get some diving in, you can head to Tulamben for a day trip (it's a 3hr drive) and dive the USS Liberty.

As others have already mentioned, there are many excellent dive destinations in Indonesia. Bali is not one of them.

I've just booked a liveaboard for next year. I fly in an out of Denpasar but made sure to schedule my flights so I fly in 3 hrs before boarding, and fly out the afternoon of disembarking. Don't need to stay in Bali itself any longer than absolutely required :wink:
Sorry, but Bali is a brilliant dive destination. However, just not near Kuta/Denpasar etc.

PS You do know that Bali is the island, not the town/locality?

there are many excellent dive destinations in Indonesia. Bali is not one of them.
Yes, Bali is completely crap!
You shouldn't dive Bali, you don't want to see all that stuff below :

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom