Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have any diving experience outside Bali, but almost all my dives done in Bali so I will give a little guidance about diving in Bali. Basically Bali though not as popular as other dive sites in Indonesia, like Bunaken or Komodo, it is a good place to go. You can have a variety of good dive sites all around Bali. Mostly all dive sites in Bali can be dived everytime, but the best season is on June, July and August. I will describe each dive site I know and that must be the place I dived before.

Tulamben
This place is located on North East Bali. It has several good places, the most popular is the ship wreck. This USS Liberty wreck is very easy to access. In the WWII this ships was torpedoed by Japanese submarine in Lombok Strait and was getting towed by another USS ship to Bali shore. But for no particular reason, they just abandon the ships there until Indonesia proclaimed its independent on August 1945. One day in 1963 the biggest mountain in Bali, Mt. Agung errupted, and make the ships get rolling into the water. That's why this wreck situated only around 20 meters from the shore. Current is seldom and visibility usually about 10-20 meters. Other dive sites that I found interested in Tulamben, is the Drop Off (wall) and Coral Garden (shallow reef, good for photographer). Another interested site is Batu Kelebit which has a beautiful & abundant reef start in 30 meters depth. One of my tek-diver friend has been in 70 meters and found that there are still wide area up to 90 meters below him. Tulamben offers variety of dive sites along with good accomodation. Also good for a night dive here, especially in the full moon.

Nusa Penida
This sister island of Bali is a good place to do the drift diving. Most area has strong current with the good visibility (around 20-30 meters). In the best season (June to August), some divers meet whale shark anmd sun fish (mola mola) here. I found this place interested to do drift diving. Since spear fishing is banned here, there are many reef fishes live here.

Menjangan Island
I've been to this place several times, most of all the dive sites are wall. The visibility is very good here. Also you can find a wooden ship wreck here. This place best for Nitrox diving, since mostly the good area of reef can be found under 30 meters.

Gili Tepekong & Shark Point
The most difficult area for diving in Bali, the current is unpredictable. I dove here once and plan to have another in upcoming months (waiting for best season). You will find many pellagics here. The last time I dove here on November, I saw very beautiful canyon situated in 25 meters depth. Dive around the small island. The other part of the island, is the shark point, which has a place called shark point, you know what you'd meet if you go there. But the last time since the viz is not very good (about 5 meters), I did not find any sharks here, though at that time there was a rumour that a 5 meters Bull Shark occured there.

Amed
Only 2 of 3 popular dive sites there I've been dove. It is situated in the northmost part of Bali island, you can find several good resort here with sun rise scene. It was a good wall here but El Nino sweep all its beautiful coral reef and the recovery is quite slow here.

Padang Bai
Situated next to a traditional ship harbour. It has a shallow reef and many divers encounter nurse shark here.

If your friend need a good diving accomodation, probably my friend who had a dive center here can help. Go to their website for more info on diving Bali or directly contact them

Regards

Erwin Kodiat
Kuta, Bali

Hi Erwin,

Thanks for th info on Bali.

I am planning to go to Bali in Sept and dive only at Tulamben. any recommendation of where to stay there. Which resort in Tulamben has guide that is good at finding macro stuff to photograph??? What is the best way to book??

Can you also recommend a place to stay in Kuta area that is about US$30.

Really appreciate if you can help. Bali is by far the most difficult place to plan for diving as the dive sites are all scatter around the big island. I will be going back, so I will just do Tulamben for the start.

Cheers
Liang

Hi Liang,
I will suggest Diver's Paradise in Tulamben. But depends on your standard, you may consider Mimpi Resort or Tauch Terminal. I suggest Wally Siagian to be the most knowledgeable guide for macro and pelagic as well, you can reach him by email at Walldive@denpasar.wasantara.net.id. Many world-known underwater photographers contact him and use his service to find any form of marine life from coral to small creature to pellagic.
The sites that will offer macro creature would be Tulamben and Secret Bay (Gilimanuk) While Gili Selang and Gili Tepekong offer pelagic as well as reef fishes. The last time I dove Gili Selang, I encountered 4 big white tip shark and 8 hammerhead shark. However, as usual, the more big fish, the stronger the current, the lower the viz. But it will pump your adrenalin for sure.
Last year, on June to August, some divers encountered mola-mola (giant sunfish) as long as 2.5 meters.
Should you come here, don't hesitate to contact me

Erwin Kodiat :mean:

Originally posted by jnylaw
:jester:

The second day is Amed. Overnight at Paradise
Beach Bungalows. Any experience there?

Thanks!
Jackie

Amed is used to be the best dive sites in Bali. But after El Nino (1998), it makes the coral dies in the shallower area but its recovery is very slow. If you love to do drift diving, the best way is to try Gili Selang, which is only 30 minutes by boat from Amed.
It has a very beautiful soft coral and also a good place to encounter big fish (pellagic). But the current goes everywhere and change unpredictably. Good for drift diver!

Erwin Kodiat
Kuta, Bali:mean:

Hi Erwin,

Thanks,

heard about Wally. I will not do any serious diving this trip as my girlfriend is new to diving. The next time I go to Bali, I will definitely dive in the Gili's island, Secret Bay and Nusa Penida

Cheers
Liang

PS : Remembered you were the guy who asked about Sangalaki, will let you know when I am back. Will be there from 18th may to 25th may.

Hi,

I'm going to dive in Tulamben this coming Vesak Holiday. My dive operator is Bali Scuba

I have not dived with them before, but one of the dive instructors Christian is a childhood friend of mine so I feel pretty safe. I can post a short dive report when I come back, if you're interested.

keep diving!

=-)

Hi Neve,
I know Chris pretty well, in fact I took all my dive course at his dive center. It is possible that I will dive Tulamben as well that day, or probably give Gili Selang a bit more try.
Anyway, how can you be Christian's childhood friend? Do you come from Malang?

Erwin Kodiat

Hi Erwin,

I was born in Malang, but has since moved around and have not lived there for more than 10 years. I'm officially a resident of Bali although I have never lived there for more than 5 weeks :)

I'm actually a friend of Chris' sister, Mia. I haven't seen Chris for more than 10 years!

Where is Gili Selang? I'm interested in doing maybe another day trip, but can't confirm because I have a non-diver friend who will be tagging along the whole time, and may get bored.

Chris just called me, I know your name from him :). Gili Selang is 30 minutes from Amed by jukung (small traditional boat). The current is strong and unpredictable. The earlier is the better. But then the coral there is very beautiful & abundant. Worth diving ...
Maybe we can meet on the day you come here and have a nice diving trip together

Erwin Kodiat

Back
Top Bottom