Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a beginning diver (20 dives) so it sounds like Tulamben and Menjangan island for me. I am looking for mid to high end accomodations, which would you suggest?

Hi seabass,
I will suggest Tulamben for you. You can find an easy ship wreck, nice wall and shallow coral garden all in one place. It is Tulamben!
The accomodation I suggest would be Mimpi Resort or Tauch Terminal, they are not like Hilton or Hyatt, though, but AFAIK it's the best place to stay at Tulamben. They all have easy access to various dive sites in Tulamben.

I have read an unflattering piece on Mimpi,

from http://www.travelideas.net/bali.hotels/mimpit.html

Unfortunately, we are no longer prepared to take reservations for, nor recommend making reservations at Mimpi. This is due to a series of problems we have experienced with them recently. Including non-payment (to us), reports of staff leaving, guest reservation problems, reports of deteriorating food standards, reports of power being cut off.

We are able to recommend you to other fine hotels with diving facilities though;

Taucht Terminal, Emerald Tulamben Beach Hotel and Hidden Paradise Hotel for Tulamben area.

-------------

I would personally recommend Taucht Terminal (excellent food, not sure about rooms though) or Mature (Matahari Tulamben Resort).

Originally posted by seabass
I am a beginning diver (20 dives) so it sounds like Tulamben and Menjangan island for me. I am looking for mid to high end accomodations, which would you suggest?

Hi, Seabass....

For me the nice place to stay in Tulamben is Paradise Hotel, They have the best air filling station, ( BAUER - Germany ).

Their room prices from Rp. 60.000( Fan & Cold Water ), Rp. 180.000 ( Fan & Hot water ) and Rp. 230.000 ( Air Condition & Hot Water ). Equal US.$ 7, 21 and 27.

Tauch Terminal is higher class hotel and have their own small swiming pool, Their prices around US. $ 60 to 90.
But a lot of divers I have met always said that they like Paradise more ( The Atmosphere ).

In Tulamben actually they have 6 Dive sites:

1. Coral Garden 7-12 meters ( In front of Paradise Hotel ).
2. Drop Off ( The bottom is 59 meters ) Wall, Beach access.
3. Ship Wreck (10 - 30 meters) USS.Liberty, Beach Access
4. Batu Belah ( 15-25 meters ) 5 minutes by Jukung ( Traditional
boat ) Rp. 20.000/person.
5. Batu Kelebit, quiet deep 25- more than 70 meters, By Jukung
like item 4
6. Alamanda, 20-40 meters, by Jukung same like item 4.

So Finally..I hope you will enjoy your diving here in Tulamben,
maybe if you dive during the week end, you gon'na meet me and Erwin, we can dive together.

But I suggest same like Erwin, call a dive operator here in Bali.. to make easier, they will pick you up in the airport, book your hotel even in Kuta, Sanur or Tulamben..transfer you there, guiding, etc. Just contact them like Erwin sugested.
Simon, Chris or David or just visit their web site first: www.baliscuba.com or mail at: letsdive@baliscuba.com

They are rally pro and you will like it

See you...here Seabass...

Hengky

Ok, my girlfriend decided she wanted to stay at a more touristy area where there is a lot more to do. We are planning to stay at Kuta beach. Any suggestions?

Hi Erwin,

I am going to stay with Mimpi (Tulemben) in September, but after reading Neve's report, I am a bit apprehensive about it. Since you're in Bali, I just want to hear your opinion on whether Mimpi Resort is a reliable operator??

Regards
Liang

Hi Seabass,
You still can have a good dive trip while you stay at Kuta (even near the beach), though Kuta beach is not diveable, you still can have a good one in Nusa Penida which is a good option for daily trip.
For a 2 dives trip a day, you would go at 8 or 9 o'clock in the morning and by 16.00 you already came back in Kuta. You can choose various dive site in Nusa Penida, from easy one to extremely difficult one. Mostly the dangerous related to current. But if you choose the easy one then it would be a very nice dive. These months (July, August and September) is the best time to meet mola mola (sun fish) in Nusa Penida, but this giant creature usually appears only during the relatively temperature (23 degree Celcius or below).
Tulamben, although 3 hours drive from Kuta, in my opinion it's still worth visiting, you may want to stay one night there to try the amazingly easy to access USS Liberty ship wreck, Tulamben Drop Off, and Beautiful Batu Kelebit which has a beautiful slope up to more than 70 meters depth.
Lastly, if you like to boost you adrenaline while diving in a very beautiful soft coral, go to Gili Selang. This is 2.5 hours drive from Kuta, but if you stay in Tulamben then you can go there in only 30 minutes by car to Amed and 30 minutes by boat.

Depends on how long you will stay, you can arrange as many possibility as possible

Hi Liang, it's good to know that you will come here, I hope we can have a dive together. About Mimpi, I don't know about their service as a dive operator, but as far as I'm concerned, they have the good room and quite relaxing.
However, as I'm a regular visitor tu Tulamben, I will stay at Diver's Paradise which is the pioneer of Tulamben diving industry. The rate for standard room only IDR 60.000 (equal to USD), very cheap isn't it, but of course don't expect resort-like room.
For dive operator, there are many in Bali, but it's good to consult my friend, Simon A. Gilbert about diving in Bali

Hi Erwin,

Thanks, I have contacted Chris and will be diving with them.

Can you recommend me with a hotel in Kuta that is around US$50 per night.

Regards
Yew Liang

Liang, I will suggest you to contact Chris about the accomodation, they have some contract rate with various hotels in Bali. And you can also ask him for any suggestion in case the hotel criteria he gave to you not meet your criteria. Just drop him an email ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom