Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

milksheikh:
I'm in Ubud at the moment, hoping to do some diving next week, and was wondering if anyone had any tips on which locations might be best for me at this time of year. I guess the rainy season is just getting started, so there might not yet be much impact, but still thought I should ask. I'm a fairly inexperienced warm-water diver (10 dives total in St. Lucia, Thailand, and Florida thus far). My wife would like to do some snorkeling for one or more of the days I dive (I'll probably want to dive 2 or 3 days). And I think we'd prefer to stay on Bali (or near -- Nusa Lembongan and its sisters would be fine).

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any guidance!

If you are after easy diving, you'd probably be better off sticking to Bali and dive off Menjangan, Amed or Padang Bai. The dives near Lembongan are excellent but can be fairly challenging and cold.

I believe you can make arrangement with most dive operators to pick you up from Ubud and transfer you back after the dives. You may have to pay for the transfer. I know that Ena dive center pick divers from places like Nusa Dua for day dive trips. Ena normally cost a little more but they are very professional. Further, if you choose, Ena can arrange for personal DM to dive with you.

milksheikh:
I'm in Ubud at the moment, hoping to do some diving next week, and was wondering if anyone had any tips on which locations might be best for me at this time of year. I guess the rainy season is just getting started, so there might not yet be much impact, but still thought I should ask. I'm a fairly inexperienced warm-water diver (10 dives total in St. Lucia, Thailand, and Florida thus far). My wife would like to do some snorkeling for one or more of the days I dive (I'll probably want to dive 2 or 3 days). And I think we'd prefer to stay on Bali (or near -- Nusa Lembongan and its sisters would be fine).

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Move to Tulamben or Amed; you can maximize your dives - easy, great wreck diving and snorkeling; lesslikely raining compare to the south. Mimpi resort Tulamben is my favourite, various accomodation incl. budget; nice house reef - your wife will love it.

Thanks for the replies (and so quick)! We are definitely planning on leaving Ubud and were thinking we would head closer to dive sites (I'm not a morning person, unfortunately, so the thought of long transfers before diving doesn't comfort me too much). And I did think last night that I should have mentioned that I get cold underwater quite easily so warmer water would be preferable. So I will cross Lembongan off the list (at least for diving purposes). I think from a sightseeing perspective, east Bali is preferable for us than west, so I'll focus on Tulamben and/or Padang Bai.

Any other suggestions/tips are of course welcome...

Thanks again!

milksheikh:
Thanks for the replies (and so quick)! We are definitely planning on leaving Ubud and were thinking we would head closer to dive sites (I'm not a morning person, unfortunately, so the thought of long transfers before diving doesn't comfort me too much). And I did think last night that I should have mentioned that I get cold underwater quite easily so warmer water would be preferable. So I will cross Lembongan off the list (at least for diving purposes). I think from a sightseeing perspective, east Bali is preferable for us than west, so I'll focus on Tulamben and/or Padang Bai.

Thanks again!

Tulamben is very easy diving with warm water - Padangbai in my experience can have cold waters and strong currents (Gili Tepekong and Gili Mimpang especially), similar to Penida/ Lembongan...

Whatever you decide, you will have a great time !

milksheikh:
So I will cross Lembongan off the list (at least for diving purposes). I think from a sightseeing perspective, east Bali is preferable for us than west, so I'll focus on Tulamben and/or Padang Bai.

I did my first diving trip to Bali this October and love it, so much so that I told my buddy to plan more dive trips in Bali next year.

We dived at Tulamben, Amed and Seraya, and particularly enjoyed Seraya. Amed wasn't quite my cup of tea, with relatively stronger current (not very) which made macro photography difficult. Visibility wasn't that fantastic too but the landscape was interesting. Seraya was where I found a lot of subjects for macro photography. Tulamben is equally cool with its variety of dive sites.

Mobilefanz, this thread was from 2006!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom