Bali Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisDur

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings. I just discovered this forum. Great stuff. Seems like an excellent group. I learned much from what I've read. My wife and I have gotten to visit some great sites in Australia and points north--but mainly for birds and cultures. I've always found time for snorkeling though and just love it. Never have had on scuba gear, but one day it'll come. We're going back to Bali and bringing some friends. No real plan, just staying in Lipah for 2 weeks or so, Pemuteran for a week, then visiting a friend who lives in Ubud. Here's my question.........Is there an essential "Guide to Fish and Other Critters" that people would recommend for this area? I'm always looking at books in Dive shops or asking those more "In the Know" about something I just saw. I've seen such incredible underwater diversity-----------it would be nice to know what it is. If there's an opinion out there, I'd love to hear it. Otherwise, thanks to all in this obviously excellent forum.

Sincerely,

Chris Durniak Chico, CA

I recommend "Reef Fish Identification: Tropical Pacific" by Gerald Allen, Roger Steene, Paul Humann, and Ned DeLoach (2003). Most of the critters we photographed in Indonesia could be found there!

ChrisDur:
Greetings. I just discovered this forum. Great stuff. Seems like an excellent group. I learned much from what I've read. My wife and I have gotten to visit some great sites in Australia and points north--but mainly for birds and cultures. I've always found time for snorkeling though and just love it. Never have had on scuba gear, but one day it'll come. We're going back to Bali and bringing some friends. No real plan, just staying in Lipah for 2 weeks or so, Pemuteran for a week, then visiting a friend who lives in Ubud. Here's my question.........Is there an essential "Guide to Fish and Other Critters" that people would recommend for this area? I'm always looking at books in Dive shops or asking those more "In the Know" about something I just saw. I've seen such incredible underwater diversity-----------it would be nice to know what it is. If there's an opinion out there, I'd love to hear it. Otherwise, thanks to all in this obviously excellent forum.

Sincerely,

Chris Durniak Chico, CA

Hi i went diving there 4 months ago, and bought a book called diving and snorkelling BALI & Lombok. It shows all the dive sites in the area and talks about marine life within Bali, with some detailed descriptions. try www.lonelyplanet.com (Book by lonelplanet).

Thanks for the replies. I've got the Lonely Planet book coming. I'll look into the Allen and Steene Guide. Chris

ChrisDur:
Thanks for the replies. I've got the Lonely Planet book coming. I'll look into the Allen and Steene Guide. Chris

The fish book is good, but just fish. Steen and Allen did another (or was it just Allen?) called something like "Guide to the Coral Reef". Great book that includes everything living, invcluding coral, worms and slugs, snakes and even a few birds. Thats the one I always take diving, but its a little big for casual use, and suffers in that the common names of animals are not listed in the index.

If you want a pocket guide to reef fish or the coral reef there are several good ones that should be available at the airport in Bali. Periplus makes one that I like. There is also a good book called "The Snorkelers Guide to the Coral Reef" by Paddy something (Paddy O'Furniture?). As I recall, its a little about snorlkling and much about the reef, and might be a perfect choice for your trip.

On another issue, since you will be in Bali, why not take two or three days and do a diving course? No place cheaper or with more options. At least you should go for one of those "Discover Scuba" things, where they train you up for an hour then drop you in the water. I used to be a snorkler like you and did one of those off the coast of Kenya, but it wasn't too great. Visibility was poor and the equipment didn't fit too well, and seemed quite bulky compared to the freedom of free diving, but I loved it anyway. Brought back all those great memories of watching Jaques Cousteou as a kid. If you did it in a place like Bali you would have the advantage of some of the best dive sites in the world (Tulumben would be great as the diving is dead easy and te fish life fantastic!)

Cheers, Tim

Thanks for the info. Great reply. Going that "Next step" does have it's appeal. We'll see. I guess the great diversity I've seen just snorkeling has satisfied me up to this point. We're really looking forward to Bali. Never went near the ocean last time we were there. Basically getting ready, then getting over our month in West Papua. Great snorkeling in the Padaido Islands. This time we've got 3 weeks to explore the Eastern tip, then Northwest of Bali. Should be fun. Thanks again, Chris

Chris
I suggest you do snorkeling at Pemuteran, Pulau Menjangan and then Tulamben - at Tulamben hope the water clear enough so you can "almost diving" at the Liberty wreckship - the marine life diversity is very good, use any of books mentioned before to identify fish, coral and other creatures- forget it the nudis at that time. Take some picture and stop for cold beer at Tauch Terminal Tulamben
If you do, I guess (hope too) you'll change your plan for diving, at least trying an instant diving package which may cost you a portion of lobster in five star hotel - then you back to this forum and write ...'finally I found....
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom